Pabloalex91

Apr 23, 2022
Parrots
Make Alexandrine
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum & have recently brought home 3 weeks ago a 5 month old Alexandrine. We’ve been getting along just fine & he is starting target training with a stick & is also eating out of my hand with caution as he is not tame at all so shocked already about this, however he has bitten me once quite hard whilst he was on the target stick I was holding!😅 Since we got him he has been doing exaggerated head movements that extend to his back, going round in almost like a figure of 8? I thought he was dancing as he tends to do this a lot whilst hanging upside down in his cage but also on his perch. Is this something to be concerned about, it’s almost like he can’t stop but will if you distract him enough. I’ve read a lot about stargazing and all sorts of neurological conditions but just wondered if anyone else’s birds does this? I’ll try upload a video very soon as he has now stopped & just settled for the evening. If anyone knows what these movements indicate I’d be grateful. Rachel 😌

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum & have recently brought home 3 weeks ago a 5 month old Alexandrine. We’ve been getting along just fine & he is starting target training with a stick & is also eating out of my hand with caution as he is not tame at all so shocked already about this, however he has bitten me once quite hard whilst he was on the target stick I was holding!😅 Since we got him he has been doing exaggerated head movements that extend to his back, going round in almost like a figure of 8? I thought he was dancing as he tends to do this a lot whilst hanging upside down in his cage but also on his perch. Is this something to be concerned about, it’s almost like he can’t stop but will if you distract him enough. I’ve read a lot about stargazing and all sorts of neurological conditions but just wondered if anyone else’s birds does this? I’ll try upload a video very soon as he has now stopped & just settled for the evening. If anyone knows what these movements indicate I’d be grateful. Rachel 😌
Can you share a video? You can upload on YouTube or Imgur as unlisted and share the link here.

OP
Pabloalex91

Pabloalex91

Apr 23, 2022
Parrots
Make Alexandrine
Can you share a video? You can upload on YouTube or Imgur as unlisted and share the link here.
Hi PippTheBananaBirb,

I’ve just managed to find a video I took of home doing this. Sometimes he will do this for around a minute and then settle when you cover him for the night. It does appear to be voluntary in my opinion but I’m not expert😅 just he will sometimes stop when you catch his attention but is this normal amongst alexandrines? I guess I’m just after some reassurance.
Thanks in advance 😌

OP
Pabloalex91

Pabloalex91

Apr 23, 2022
Parrots
Make Alexandrine
I think he’s just being weird (or having fun) like any parrot. Stargazing looks different.

Thanks for posting the video. I was
Thanks everyone, this has been reassuring. There has not been any other concerns to note so maybe I can relax a little now 😁 Many thanks for your replies!

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
My Alex does the same thing. They are just playing - Kinda like when as kids we would be spun in a chair for that weird feeling- Thats their weird feeling thing to do !!

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
My one Senegal Charlie does that exact movement! It is reassuring to see another parrot do it, though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts