Dealing with a clingy grey. Is this normal?

Birdiemom

Mar 19, 2017
Hey everyone! I recently posted about bringing Gizmo home (4mo old) and wondering about his begging behaviour. I got some formula and was giving it to him whenever he was begging. A week or so later and now he doesn't want it anymore. Instead, he gets mad if he doesn't get his veggies and fruits! haha

But now I'm here with a different question! He's extremely clingy. I work from home (even outside of the pandemic) so I'm always around and he spends pretty much his entire day out of his cage. His cage is really just for sleeping. I plan to upgrade it soon because if ever we leave the house he needs a bigger space. But for now, he's always out. He has a java tree on top of his cage, a small perch next to my desk to hangout, and a large java tree in the living room. In the morning, his new habit is to fly across the room (he's not quite got the hang of flying yet) I can't tell where he wants to go. When I go to him to get him to step up he proceeds to try to climb on me. It seems like he just wants to be ON ME all the time. He desperately wants to reach the top of my shoulders or head—something I don't allow. He has a lot of toys (foot toys included), plenty of food, water, and I'm just not sure how to deal with this. I love spending time with him, but I can't have him trying to climb me when I'm working. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Advice? Is this normal?

And for the record, he's not skittish at all. He's not doing this because he's scared. The only thing that freaks him out so far is the vacuum but I'm trying to slowly desensitize him!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
babies need a lot more contact and direction. He just weaned. He would spend a year with his parents, still getting an occasional feed, and a lot if teaching. He is programmed to follow his parents and learn from them right now Post! This is the best time to teach recall training inside of course!!!: Post weaning is hugely important. I'd enjoy this time, and plan in putting more work and hands on and guidance and teaching right now. He would be a prime target for predators at this age if he didn't stick close to his parents.

You setting him to succeed for the next 80 years, extra time right now actually equals more confidence and independence later, better ability to deal with stress and change. Plan fir foraging, food items with great, set him up next to you sbd provided sbd plan activities fir him. Best time to expose to all kinds of pellets, foods and texture , find the parrot safe veggies sbfd leafy greens a list, safe foods list. And work through offering every single item possible. It will pay off in health and mental stability.

Last edited:

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Agreed with Laurasea. He's a baby and he's looking to you for love, food, and training. This is the best time to teach him target training, towel training, harness training, recall training, and even potty training. :)
If you want guidance for training, try BirdTricks.com or Parrot Wizard.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Take you Parrot on tours of your home targeting teaching safe flight paths and landing areas out and away from the cage and then back to the cage. Also teach 'hard surfaces' like walls, windows, mirrors, doors and pictures. This is done by placing him on your hand and walking out and around. Once the basic paths are in place, shift off the path and walk into a wall, etc.. tap on the wall and say hard or like term. After a few such trips your Parrot will start looking at you as if your crazy! That means he got the point. This will vastly eliminate you Parrot flying into hard surfaces.

Step two, is to get him flapping his wings. Soon, he will be flapping enough to create lift, shortly after that point, he will be flying!

NOTE: Like a baby, they are clingy now, just wait until he gets a bit older! Just like the teenage years with kids... Enjoy your time together now!!! :D

Last edited:

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
NOTE: Like a baby, they are clingy now, just wait until he gets a bit older! Just like the teenage years with kids... Enjoy your time together now!!! :D

YES!!! Treasure this time!! Take lots of pictures to remember how sweet it was, once he starts going through his "teen" years you will need to look back and remember the good ol' days. :)

OP
Birdiemom

Birdiemom

Mar 19, 2017
Thanks everyone!! I was worried I was doing something wrong. I wasn’t sure if it was a good time to start training. I have the next few days off so I’ll start a few very short sessions. Looking forward to it!

OP
Birdiemom

Birdiemom

Mar 19, 2017
An additional question!
He really likes to climb up onto my shoulder. I know that a lot of people say to discourage this so I'd like some advice on how to deal with this. I put out a ton of tons on my desk today and he's not content until he's on my shoulder preening my hair and chewing on my shirt zipper.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I let my bird on my shoulder, but I still have control when I do. If she climbs up without permission (e.g., a time when I am blocking her and she tried to go anyway). If you allow your bird on your shoulder, there have to be boundaries. That means a bird who steps up even when on your shoulder. If you try to get your bird off your shoulder and he/she will not come, this is the one time when I would say that you need to "win" the war. Normally, I say go with the flow and read signals before forcing something, but you need to train your bird to know that shoulders are on your terms.

Their behavior changes A LOT as they mature sexually, but even now, you need to be planning and practicing certain routines etc because this is the foundation for future expectations.

I'd be careful about allowing play with a zipper unless it's stainless steel. They can get metal poisoning from mouth zinc etc. I'm sure your bird is fine, but playing with those sorts of things should be discouraged...

You also don't want to create a bird that cannot play independently, but with yours being so young, there will be some leeway because babies DO need more than adults. At the same time, you want to teach independent play and make sure that if your bird is screaming that you don't immediately run over and pick it up just to stop the noise...that's teaching your bird to scream later on. That having been said, there is a difference between a baby wanting food/crying and screaming for attention-- I am not telling you to be cold or anything, but I think you are right to be thinking about things now.

Do you have play perches for him? Station training is also something I would work on. Play stands can be good because they are not the cage and they are often portable..So he can be in the room with you (although don't make it a constant thing, as you need to also leave him in his cage alone from time-to-time, as that is the reality of most people's lives).

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Shoulder time is earned. A Parrot that has earned shoulder time, will first 'Step-up' when requested!

With the exception of hard-on climbing up you vertically, commonly they are coming up your arm, which is likely at an angle that easies the climb. Stop making the climb easy. Teaching boundaries is a important part of working with your Parrot.

Why the big deal about shoulder time. If your Parrot elects to bit you from your shoulder there are a vast number of critical body parts on your neck and face. Having a Parrot earring is cute, until its your Parrot hanging from your ear. Accidents happen, hence having control of your Parrot while they are on your should is so important.

Sorry, good friend, it appears I was writing a Post while you Posted yours!

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have a lot of parrots, and only 2 shoulders.
So I put a ceiling hook in and used strong fishing in to hang big rope spirals down . Then they are on those but not me and right close.

He is a really young baby, abd needs more naps too. So msybe a draped nap cage next to you. But definitely going to need to learn can't just climb on you, if you don't want him to.
Mine i let on my shoulders all day all the time , but if I don't want them on me they are fine being moved. No body is allowed on my head except budgies.

Last edited:

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Birds love the shoulder. Greys aren’t so aggressive up there.

Enjoy it.

My Yellow Naped Amazon is around two now, and I can’t tell you how many people here screamed at me to never shoulder him. I ignored that advice. He totally chills and loves being up there.

You’ll be able to tell his behavior, read his moods, when shouldered. If any doubt...if you think he’s going into excitable overload...don’t do it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts