Dealing with toddlers - of the bird variety and Toys, the more distracting the better

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Missy, IRN, is 14 weeks old and... I envisaged having her free flying in the main living area of the home I rent. Thing is... I get nothing done.
Whatever I am doing it is supervised and quality controlled by a very hands on Missy.
I don't want to "banish" her, to her cage, but I don't know how to train her to not be all up in my face when I am working on things. Can anyone help please.
Likewise I don't want her clipped. No offence, but I just see it as maiming them to get them to behave how you want and where you want. I have had clipped birds in the past but they were older.... and could still fly so...
When it comes to my belongings, I didn't have to move anything when my now grown up sons were toddlers, and kind of don't think I shouldn't have to with Missy. If I take them out of her reach what will happen once I bring them back in, down the track?
I just need help. Good training videos, websites etc would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Second thing is toys. I've bought some and am trying to make the rest but what is really something any of you seasoned birdsters have found that your birds just looooove. Love enough to give you 5 minutes peace... I love her - honestly I do but.... arggghhhh.
Again, many thanks.

Attachments

• WIN_20211118_08_56_36_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20211118_08_56_36_Pro.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 60

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Lol so cute and so true
Right now post weaning is really important in a burds life, they want to follow parents around to learn, so great to start doing in home recall flight training!!. Its the easiest time to to teach. As you mentioned dshe will want to fly to you. So take advantage and do this all day long with a set phrase you use every time snd really reward her!!!
Also this us a time you just have to put more into a burd, lots of guidance and teach, lots of new foods , veggies, leafy greens,, at least two types of pellets ( so not picky later), i offered every type i liked and could buy. They need more work snd attention right now, to be more confident and independent later. Expose them to lots of new stuff, at this life stage they are a sponge!!
I recommend lots if her own places to hang out, with stuff to discover.
Plus get her foraging

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts