Decent Air Purifiers for an Apartment - Recommendations?

Lullx

Mar 6, 2015
Central New York
Parrots
Nephele - Baby CAG | Genevieve & Phaedrus - Green Cheeks | Lucy - Lutino Cockatiel | Ludo, Zero & Anzu - Budgerigars
Hello! I'm currently doing some shopping for things for my baby CAG that'll be coming home in June.

One of the items that I'm looking to purchase is a HEPA air purifier. I know that greys are very dusty, and I also have a dusty cockatiel. I want all of us to breathe easier!

I tried searching the forums for older topics about air purifiers, but none of them really answered my questions. I live in an apartment, and the house is very old, so I wouldn't be able to add any sort of filtration system or unit to the apartment itself. I'll need to buy a free-standing air purifier.
I'm buying quite a few things over these next few months, so cost is an issue here. I hope to get an adequate purifier for now, then eventually upgrade to something like a RabbitAir.

I was looking at a few specific purifiers, one being Germ Guardian.
However, this Germ Guardian uses an UV-C light to kill germs and something called "Photocatalytic Oxidation", and I was worried about if that's even safe for birds, as I know that ionizers are not.
Here's the purifier in question: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/GermGuardian-AC4825-Cleaning-Reduction-22-Inch/dp/B004VGIGVY/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_i"]GermGuardian AC4825[/ame]
I know that the UV light can be turned off, but I feel like it would be better to get a different purifier all together if this one may pose a health risk to my little aviary.

Another brand I was looking at is Honeywell. They have both tower and... Non-tower models.
I'd prefer a tower or other easy-to-move model because I'm honestly pretty frail and weak (chronic fatigue, woo!). I want to be able to easily move things around by myself, as my birds are useless at helping.
I also would prefer a quiet model, as I spend all of my time in the same room as the birds, including watching TV and movies with them, playing games and training them.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-QuietClean-Purifier-Permanent-HFD-110/dp/B000MUOKI6/ref=sr_1_63?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1426299476&sr=1-63"]The tower model[/ame] and [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Long-Life-QuietCare-Purifier-17000/dp/B000050AQ5/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1426309362&sr=1-3&keywords=honeywell+hepa+air+purifier"]another Honeywell I've been considering[/ame]

For anyone else trying to figure out a good air purifier for their situation, I was lead to this site, which was helpful: Achoo! Allergy

I was mostly wondering what brands you guys use for your flocks (particularly grey owners), and if either of the three I linked to above would be good for my situation. My budget right now is capped at around $150 for this. I can go a bit higher, around $200, if the purifier is highly recommended (of course, the ones I've linked to are on sale because it's Amazon).

Thank you for reading!

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey "Angel"

Muloccan Cockatoo "Bahama"
Depending on how much you want to spend, i have purchased a few of the austin air purifiers and they are great. 5 year warranty on the filters, the filters have 15 pounds of carbon in them.

They aren't cheap but work really well for what i need. I have 2 small units and one large. Large one for our main living area, small one in bird room, and another small one in our sleeping bedroom. That is probably overkill you could just use 1 and it would be fine

Edit:...SORRY just saw the part about the budget. My apologies. Maybe an austin unit will be in your considerations when you upgrade.

Last edited:

Mattroma

Oct 22, 2013
Ma
Parrots
Quinn- Harlequin
Lemon and Blueberry Budgies
A box fan on low with a furnace fitter tapped to the back, does a surprisingly good job. And halos is friendly on the wallet.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
A box fan on low with a furnace fitter tapped to the back, does a surprisingly good job. And halos is friendly on the wallet.

Hmmm...I've never thought of this! Thanks...I'm going to try it!:D

Most Reactions