Decided on a cage : )

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I hate to be a party pooper, but that particular cage is MUCH too small for an Eclectus.

Please don't put an Ekki in something that isn't at least 76cm wide, and even that is on the smallish side.

As for depth, no less than 60cm.

OP
D

dazg

Apr 18, 2016
On sites they tell you which cage suits each kind parrot Eclectus was on a fair few sites alongside this cage. There is plenty of African grey owners who have this cage and there alot bigger.

OP
D

dazg

Apr 18, 2016
I hate to be a party pooper, but that particular cage is MUCH too small for an Eclectus.

Please don't put an Ekki in something that isn't at least 76cm wide, and even that is on the smallish side.

As for depth, no less than 60cm.

So which would you go for my budget is £200 I had parrot before he was out more than in the cage. this is the site I have bought from Search Results

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
So which would you go for my budget is £200 I had parrot before he was out more than in the cage. this is the site I have bought from Search Results

There are more/other reliable online sources for the UK. :)

Here are some cage examples for your budget:
Rainforest Cages RC Santa Marta 1 Antique Cage ? Next Day Delivery Rainforest Cages RC Santa Marta 1 Antique Cage
Lazy Bones Open Top Parrot Cage ? Next Day Delivery Lazy Bones Open Top Parrot Cage
Cambridge Play Gym Top Parrot Cage

The bird should at least be able to fully stretch out his/her wings when in the cage, regardless of how much time (or little) they spend in it. :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

whitewing607

Feb 22, 2016
I have been looking at cages again lately and i find these things too be so heavy and cummbersome. Mine of only 12 too 13 years old has cracked paint and rust all over it. It was orginally an A&E cage. It had given me more problems.

Here is a pic.

de3112e5f4b5a047b9fb0a44e826ed60.jpg

c39e1936c4c335370cfe819f8a796c77.jpg

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

OP
D

dazg

Apr 18, 2016

There are more/other reliable online sources for the UK. :)

Here are some cage examples for your budget:
Rainforest Cages RC Santa Marta 1 Antique Cage ? Next Day Delivery Rainforest Cages RC Santa Marta 1 Antique Cage
Lazy Bones Open Top Parrot Cage ? Next Day Delivery Lazy Bones Open Top Parrot Cage
Cambridge Play Gym Top Parrot Cage

The bird should at least be able to fully stretch out his/her wings when in the cage, regardless of how much time (or little) they spend in it. :)

Out of the 3 you chose which would you advise? I was looking for play top one but I want the best for him within budget obviously. Thanks for your help : ).

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
THAT is your decision to make. ;) YOU have to like it, too.

I personally prefer dometops (all of mine are in dometops) as it gives more head room and more space to hang toys, but it's an individual thing. Others absolutely LOVE their playtops.

So...you choose. :D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Most of mine are in playtops.

Both two and three that Wendy sent you look good to me.

OP
D

dazg

Apr 18, 2016
OP
D

dazg

Apr 18, 2016

Uglow

Jan 19, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
not to complicate it for you. My bird started out with a play top cage and he loved it. but he loved it so much he didn't want to get far away from it. I upgraded to a larger cage with a dome top and several play stands away from the cage. The dome top gives him a lot of room for toys and to stretch out when I'm out of the house. And the play stands allow him to be a bit more adventurous and give him several "go to" spots. But i'm not discounting play tops, just presenting my limited experience and my personal preference.

edit: another thing to consider is the inside height. Uglow likes to be up as high as possible and I found that the dome tops allowed for that more than the play stands.

Last edited:
OP
D

dazg

Apr 18, 2016
not to complicate it for you. My bird started out with a play top cage and he loved it. but he loved it so much he didn't want to get far away from it. I upgraded to a larger cage with a dome top and several play stands away from the cage. The dome top gives him a lot of room for toys and to stretch out when I'm out of the house. And the play stands allow him to be a bit more adventurous and give him several "go to" spots. But i'm not discounting play tops, just presenting my limited experience and my personal preference.

now you gone and done it ha ha ha I am already confused lol

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
now you gone and done it ha ha ha I am already confused lol

Stick with the playtop, and down the line, when you have some cash saved up (again, or after you've hung yourself....LMAO), get a playstand AWAY from the cage. That should nip that issue Uglow mentioned right in the bud. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts