Deformed Feather - is this PBFD?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Rooting for you! I am amazed at the described treatment, such a tiny bird after all. Yes, prayers being said.

This treatment has me totally blown-away as I have not hear of it... As many sick Amazons I have worked with over the years, never heard of this kind of treatment. Medical Science, stand still for a moment and wow!!!

Huge, Warm, Amazon Feather Hugs and Prayers your way!!!

OP
Jpenny_m

Jpenny_m

Jan 24, 2021
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Cinnamon GCC
Lola - Turquise GCC
Dragon - Blue Throated Conure
Heeby - Blue Throated Conure
So fid has been delivered to the vet. More blood was drawn for the heavy metal and white blood count test.
The heavy metal results are back - all negative.
We should have the white blood count results back in the next couple of hours.
I should also hear back on how the first days treatment has gone.
Fid was alert and happy when I dropped her off this morning.
Vet was happy to have a long discussion answering all my questions. She will advise on diet going forward on Monday. She reiterated how severely elevated the levels are, which concerns her.
She is also doing a urine test for glucose and protein to see of diabetes is the issues.
The initial shock has worn off and I am starting to feel a bit more in control of everything. I am glad there is plan forward to determine the cause of the kidney failure/disease as well as hopefully treat/manage it.
I am hopeful - if only because she looks so well and is happy.
Thanks for all your support and well wishes.
Jx

OP
Jpenny_m

Jpenny_m

Jan 24, 2021
Parrots
Charlie - Cinnamon GCC
Lola - Turquise GCC
Vet called with an update. White blood count is elevated. Vet is unsure if that’s due to a secondary infection because of a virus or whether a bacterial infection is the underlying issue.
Plan is to start antibiotics immediately for the infection and wait for viral test results. Vet has also said we must stop feeding pellets and instead move to a seed diet. As always, we will still to feed a variety of fruit and veg.
Fid is happy in hospital eating seed and sitting with a mirror for company.
We miss her terribly but know she is in the best place for her at the moment.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm going to hope is just a kidney infection thst antibiotics will clear right up, and her kidney values drop to normal!

Did he say why no pellets?

OP
Jpenny_m

Jpenny_m

Jan 24, 2021
Parrots
Charlie - Cinnamon GCC
Lola - Turquise GCC
I'm going to hope is just a kidney infection thst antibiotics will clear right up, and her kidney values drop to normal!

Thanks 🙏🏻 he said that he wants to reduce the amount of protein she is eating. Harrison’s is high in protein - 15 to 20% depending on whether it’s lifetime or high potency. He said birds with kidney disease respond to the change to a budgie seed diet plus fruit, veg, sprouts, nuts.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

Thanks ���� he said that he wants to reduce the amount of protein she is eating. Harrison’s is high in protein - 15 to 20% depending on whether it’s lifetime or high potency. He said birds with kidney disease respond to the change to a budgie seed diet plus fruit, veg, sprouts, nuts.

Are other pellets typically that high in protein? don't seeds have protein too? I'm not saying he is wrong or anything- just curious.

Last edited:
OP
Jpenny_m

Jpenny_m

Jan 24, 2021
Parrots
Charlie - Cinnamon GCC
Lola - Turquise GCC
Are other pellets typically that high in protein? don't seeds have protein too? I'm not saying he is wrong or anything- just curious.

My understanding is that it’s because seed blends are typically higher in fat and carbohydrates and lower in protein. Making them easier to handle for a damaged renal system.
A poorly functional kidney cannot process the nitrogenous waste from protein like a normal, healthy kidney can. I don’t think pellets cause kidney issues or are an issue in a healthy bird. But in one that has significant kidney disease I think the immediate diet change is to switch to seeds until the kidney is functioning well again. The vet has only told to switch our sick girl to seeds, not our other 3 conures.

The other brands range from 11% to 17% in protein. I guess the vet feels even 11% is too high at this stage?

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

My understanding is that it’s because seed blends are typically higher in fat and carbohydrates and lower in protein. Making them easier to handle for a damaged renal system.
A poorly functional kidney cannot process the nitrogenous waste from protein like a normal, healthy kidney can. I don’t think pellets cause kidney issues or are an issue in a healthy bird. But in one that has significant kidney disease I think the immediate diet change is to switch to seeds until the kidney is functioning well again. The vet has only told to switch our sick girl to seeds, not our other 3 conures.

The other brands range from 11% to 17% in protein. I guess the vet feels even 11% is too high at this stage?

When Noodles was having liver issues, the vet also cautioned me to avoid giving her foods too high in protein. I assume there is some connection, as those systems work closely. I still am cautious about giving high levels though (mine hardly touches her pellets lol-- wish she would, but it's rare to see her actually eat one --as opposed to playing with it, grinding it up etc.) I'm sure she does get some from those activities, but not like if she was actually swallowing them most of the time.

Hang in there-- sounds like you and the vet are paying close attention. I'm glad you are getting to the bottom of this. It's also good that your vet knows about the kidneys because some antibiotics are harder on certain organs than other, so I am sure she took that into consideration when prescribing etc.

Last edited:

Lisa999

Dec 31, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Alex GCC - RIP
It is hard to believe that it all started with a deformed feather and it's good that you were able to recognize that there might be a medical issue. Thank you for posting - I am learning a lot from this forum.
Wishing your conure a speedy recovery.

OP
Jpenny_m

Jpenny_m

Jan 24, 2021
Parrots
Charlie - Cinnamon GCC
Lola - Turquise GCC
Hi all,

Well madam is home. She put on some weight during her stay in hospital. She has also responded well to her treatment and to the antibiotics. Tomorrow I will get back the results from today’s follow-up blood work.

She was very happy to be back, ate loads of seeds and vegetables and took herself off for a bath in our ensuite.

Will keep you posted on our progress.
Jx

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome home little one! Thank you for the update, I've been wondering how she was getting on :) Fantastic that she's eating and has already hit the bathtub - this all sounds like encouraging news! All my best hopes for good news from her test results and her ongoing progress!

Most Reactions

Latest posts