Diego is not interested in any food apart from Melon and Apple?

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks everyone for your replies. I thought I would update everyone with what is happening. I have contacted an expert in Amazon parrots who like Birdamor explained that Amazons were the least picky eaters in the parrot world. Because of his age (4 months) he explained to me that Amazon parrots are very well known for digressing with being weaned and many at a younger age return back to formula for a while.

I gave Diego a bit of mushed up banana in a syringe (a food he hated before) and he went mad for it. I'm now waiting to hear back from the expert to see if this is a sign of him digressing and if so where I go from here.

I felt awful seeing how hungry he was to take the syringe and am now wondering if he has digressed because he was weaned to early or if it just a thing some Amazons go through.

I will keep you all updated :)

All freshly-weaned parrots regress a bit although I don't know if I would call it 'regression' actually because we tend to wean them too early. Baby amazons stay with their parents for a looong time after they start eating on their own and the parents will supplement their food intake for months and months so, IMPO, what you are experiencing with Diego is simply a baby bird who needs to learn to eat a larger variety of food (parents in the wild teach them by example and it now falls to you to do it) but who you still need to make sure is consuming enough food so he won't go hungry (doesn't sound too easy, does it?). He took to the syringe because that is what he knows. You could put nasty tasting medicine in it and he would still be willing to eat it. Are you still feeding him a little formula every day? I would. And I would do it after he eats a few bites of his healthy food so he learns that eating well is a good behavior and that he will be rewarded for it.

OP
GoDieogo

GoDieogo

Jul 28, 2010
Hi Birdamor, thanks again for your reply.

After following the advice of an expert, I have made up a recipe that is smashed up and then given to him with a spoon, after the first few mouthfuls, I then leave the spoon in the bowl and leave him to it. Over the next few days they have said to make it less and less mashed up.

They seem to think that he should revert back pretty quickly into eating better on his own, and that by giving him the above food will stimulate him trying to eat again. I gave him the smash recipe this morning and already he has been trying and eating most things that I have left for him in his bowl, including dried fruit, nuts and seeds which he would not even consider before. Tomorrow I will start to introduce the pellets.

After watching him eating the seeds etc. today, I noticed that he really is not that good yet with his beak. He always starts of well and really tries to get into the shell of a sunflower seed but often drops it before opening it. He then gets all frustrated and starts taking it out on the bowl. I personally think that he still has not yet learnt how to use his beak efficiently which was leaving him very hungry. Being hungry he was not taking his time to practice using his beak properly and it turning into a vicious circle. A bit like giving a hungry person a tin of tomatoes, who does not know how to use a tin opener. This may explain what Birdamor said about them being supplemented by their parents for a long time.

Now that he is not so hungry, he seems to be enjoying exploring all of his food. What ever the reason behind it, I am so happy to see a much more contented Diego. Who now chuckles and chatters rather than making the noise he did before.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I am glad that you sought an expert. When there is a health issue with a bird we should be seeking professional advice such as an avain vet. Us forum members can make suggestions and provide education on most issues but when it comes to the health of your bird leave that for the ones that have the formal training.

I stand together with SB 100%
Seek professional advice from an avain vet, they are qualified in that field, we are not.

We on the forum do our best to assist, whenever possible. BUT when there is a question regarding a bird's health, RATHER LISTEN TO THE EXPERTS.

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I am posative that if Mishka or Rosie had a health problem we would seek professional advice of an avain vet and let the forum members know what transpired. I really hope the rest of the members here feel the same way. Thanks all!!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I am posative that if Mishka or Rosie had a health problem we would seek professional advice of an avain vet and let the forum members know what transpired. I really hope the rest of the members here feel the same way. Thanks all!!

Quite correct in saying that SB. :D
Do you recall when :white1: chipped her beak?
I posted a thread, asked advise, and in the interm took her to the avain vet, for peace of mind. Many different opinions were voiced, some totally different from one another.
I treat :white1: as a family member, if anything health wise occurred with one of my guys,
I would certainly take them to the avain vet :eek: OOps I meant the GP LoL

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
Hi Birdamor, thanks again for your reply.

After following the advice of an expert, I have made up a recipe that is smashed up and then given to him with a spoon, after the first few mouthfuls, I then leave the spoon in the bowl and leave him to it. Over the next few days they have said to make it less and less mashed up.

They seem to think that he should revert back pretty quickly into eating better on his own, and that by giving him the above food will stimulate him trying to eat again. I gave him the smash recipe this morning and already he has been trying and eating most things that I have left for him in his bowl, including dried fruit, nuts and seeds which he would not even consider before. Tomorrow I will start to introduce the pellets.

After watching him eating the seeds etc. today, I noticed that he really is not that good yet with his beak. He always starts of well and really tries to get into the shell of a sunflower seed but often drops it before opening it. He then gets all frustrated and starts taking it out on the bowl. I personally think that he still has not yet learnt how to use his beak efficiently which was leaving him very hungry. Being hungry he was not taking his time to practice using his beak properly and it turning into a vicious circle. A bit like giving a hungry person a tin of tomatoes, who does not know how to use a tin opener. This may explain what Birdamor said about them being supplemented by their parents for a long time.

Now that he is not so hungry, he seems to be enjoying exploring all of his food. What ever the reason behind it, I am so happy to see a much more contented Diego. Who now chuckles and chatters rather than making the noise he did before.

Excellent observation about his not been able to quite master the seeds yet and his getting frustrated by it! You are 100% correct. Very young birds look adult in size and plumage but they are still babies and need a little help eating on their own. They are like small children, they get hungry, they try, it takes too long, they get distracted/frustrated and stop eating. That is when a human mother would normally pick up the spoon herself and feed them to finish up whatever is on the plate - and it's the same thing with very young birds. You have to let them eat on their own but you always have to supplement a bit so they end up with a full crop. Because you are also correct in thinking that this will stimulate their appetite and make them try harder.

Kudos to you for finding the solution to the problem!

OP
GoDieogo

GoDieogo

Jul 28, 2010
Hi everyone

Just to give you all an update to how Diego is doing. Diego is doing fantastic! He soooooo much happier now that he has a fully tummy, he even chomped his way through his green peppers and red peppers I gave to him this afternoon. He seems so much more confident in every way and being a real sweety. Tonight he fell asleep to both myself and my husband giving him a scratch, something he let us do before but you could tell he was tolerating it rather than enjoying it like he did tonight.

To show how much he loves his smash combos here's a video of my youngest son hand feeding him. Charlie and Diego seem to be getting on really well together and often play together with the toys. I think Diego is getting attached to Charlie as he is a very gentle child who has a lot of patient's with him.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8697jzeS4c]YouTube - MOV03029[/ame]

I agree with what everyone has said about seeking expert advice when confronted by a health issue. This forum is fantastic for giving you a good idea of what is normal and what is not. However, as soon as I noticed that his eating habits were not normal for an Amazon, I seeked expert advice straight away. Even if your not sure it is best to get your mind put at rest by somebody qualified to know. However, thank you everyone for all your tips and experiences :)

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Gosh, that is so cute!!! Your little guy is beautiful....Charlie, that is....well, Diego is beautiful, too...:p

OP
GoDieogo

GoDieogo

Jul 28, 2010
Thanks Sharon, he really is a cutie in every way! It's so wonderful watching him interacting with Diego, although he is young he is so calm and relaxed around him. My only concern is Charlie has such little fingers it worries me that he may get them nipped so he has learn't to stroke him with the back of his hand where there is not so much to get hold of lol.

Most Reactions