Diet for my beautiful chubby parrot OgY

OgY

Aug 1, 2022
Media
Albums
Parrots
Eastern Rosella
These days, some friends and my family often say that my parrot might be fat. I feed him fresh food unlimited, and there is always a grain mix in the food bowl. He has an appetite, that's right. And if one of us eats, he also goes and starts nibbling. Can a bird have an increased appetite? Do you have any tips on how to cut down on food the soft way? I wouldn't want him to go part of the day without food, that seems cruel to me.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
These days, some friends and my family often say that my parrot might be fat. I feed him fresh food unlimited, and there is always a grain mix in the food bowl. He has an appetite, that's right. And if one of us eats, he also goes and starts nibbling. Can a bird have an increased appetite? Do you have any tips on how to cut down on food the soft way? I wouldn't want him to go part of the day without food, that seems cruel to me.
If you get input please share. I am a lot like your bird.

I would increase green leafy vegetables and decrease starchy vegetables or seed. OR allow him to be flighted if he is not, do flapping exercises or recall.

I ought to do flapping exercises as well. And ought to eat more green leafy vegetables.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Before decreasing things in his diet you should get a gram/kitchen scale and weigh him

Reactions: OgY

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
One way is to make him work for the food. You can put a few good size pebbles in his food bowl, so he has to rummage around to get the seeds and nuts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts