Diet recommendations needed. Please help!

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Hello everyone! Thank you for taking out the time to go through my post. I have some basic questions regarding diet since I am doing my homework before getting my Indian Ringneck. I would be grateful if someone here could tell me what should be the ideal ratio of pellets, mix seeds, and vegetables. Also, I have watched some Tony Silva videos where he discourages using fruit since it is too sweet. The only one he recommended is guava. If you believe that fruit should be given then I would rephrase and ask: what is the ideal proportion of pellet, seed mix, vegetables and fruits and oh not to forget nuts?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi, I havenā€™t had a ringneck for a long time, but if using pellets I would feed about 80-90% pellets, the rest mostly vegetables, with fruits and seeds as a treat.

Without pellets, I would make a beans/rice/chopped veggies mix and feed about half the diet that, plus seeds for the other half, and fruit as a treat.

If you can observe WILD ringnecks and what theyā€™re eating you may gain some insights that most of us donā€™t have!

Again Iā€™m not an expert on this type of parrot but roughly thatā€™s what Iā€™d do.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi, I havenā€™t had a ringneck for a long time, but if using pellets I would feed about 80-90% pellets, the rest mostly vegetables, with fruits and seeds as a treat.

Without pellets, I would make a beans/rice/chopped veggies mix and feed about half the diet that, plus seeds for the other half, and fruit as a treat.

If you can observe WILD ringnecks and what theyā€™re eating you may gain some insights that most of us donā€™t have!

Again Iā€™m not an expert on this type of parrot but roughly thatā€™s what Iā€™d do.
80-90% pellets is too much for any parrot. No more than 40-50% maximum. Just my opinion.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I have an Electus, so I don't know if type of bird makes a difference. My vet's recommendation was to feed 60% of a vegetable chop, 30% pellets his preference on those were Tops, Harrison, and Roudybush. He recommends feeding more than just one brand of pellet so that your bird never just gets stuck on one brand only. The other 10% should be fruit, seeds, and nuts.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Thanks Heather :) My ringneck is on a mix of pellet and a cockatiel seed blend that's available all the time, and veggies/cooked lentils/a little fruit twice daily. He's still transitioning but my goal is 50-60% pellets, 10-ish percent seed, and the rest veggies/grains/lentils.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have an Electus, so I don't know if type of bird makes a difference. My vet's recommendation was to feed 60% of a vegetable chop, 30% pellets his preference on those were Tops, Harrison, and Roudybush. He recommends feeding more than just one brand of pellet so that your bird never just gets stuck on one brand only. The other 10% should be fruit, seeds, and nuts.
Thanks Heather :) My ringneck is on a mix of pellet and a cockatiel seed blend that's available all the time, and veggies/cooked lentils/a little fruit twice daily. He's still transitioning but my goal is 50-60% pellets, 10-ish percent seed, and the rest veggies/grains/lentils.
That looks like a really wise food choice. Iā€™m assessing my birdsā€™ diet now as Iā€™ve been relying on pellets due to my own health and energy lack.

When I was having kidney stone attacks I started feeding less fresh food because it goes bad and Lucy (elderly Quaker) got tummy upset so easily.

Squiggles:D

Jul 18, 2022
Parrots
Squiggles (about half a year old)
Black capped conure
I would say about 80% pellets and 20% veggies, nuts, and sprouts
P.S if you dont have that much time in the morning, buy a packet of coleslaw (but first make sure your bird can eat everything in it) and sprinkle some walnuts or any bird safe nut on top. This is easy but creates variety.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would say about 80% pellets and 20% veggies, nuts, and sprouts
P.S if you dont have that much time in the morning, buy a packet of coleslaw (but first make sure your bird can eat everything in it) and sprinkle some walnuts or any bird safe nut on top. This is easy but creates variety.
I try to be mindful of birds when Iā€™m preparing any meal. Then take out vegetables before cooking or before salting, or tiny bit cooked fish or egg or cheese.

Also I freeze individual cherry tomatoes and peppers and thaw those. Iā€™ve learned how to cut the vegetables so birds will try them.

Remembering to do it, and not eating processed food or cereal for dinner is the issue.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thank you all for your input! @PippTheBananaBirb, why us it that you recommend no more than 50% pellets?
I don't think birds(or any animal) should be eating mostly processed foods... Pellets are highly processed. They are baked at very high temperatures and have little to no whole foods. A lot of birds also benefit from more fresh food.

That's just what I believe, you don't have to.

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Ah OK. I understand where you are coming from. For vegetables which ones would you say are the best for IRNs?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Oh WOW! This list is just AWESOME @PippTheBananaBirb. It's exactly what I was looking for. Not only do they give a comprehensive list they educate you why it is good so that you know what you are doing. Lots of thanks man!

Most Reactions

Latest posts