TikiTheConure

Oct 15, 2022
Media
Parrots
Tiki the green cheek conure (pineapple red factor)
What does everyone conures or other parrots eat in a day?
Tiki has pellets (harrisons)
Goldenfeast and bird street bistro chop. Then some random fruit and veg added daily. Does that sound like a good diet?

Attachments

• 306604960_1898453547011031_1630663953464138976_n.jpg
    306604960_1898453547011031_1630663953464138976_n.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 35

YepHereIAm

May 13, 2022
I use mixed dried fruit (bird mix) mixed with the seeded mix... and mix all that with pellets. I use that as their standard fare. I feed them eggs for breakfast ( chop up some of mine, pan fried with red pepper flakes). Then lunch is either fruit or veggies, sometimes raw, sometimes cooked... they love cooked sweet potatoes!
Snack is whatever I have on hand they might like... often my meal!
I have a sun conure and a hahns macaw.
I think their a little spoiled? But im new... bought both within a year!
My hahns would say... Love That!
Oh, don't forget the popcorn! :orange:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
My Green Cheek gets chop in the morning which is 10+ veggies and a mix of sprouts, his lunch time snack is a NutriBerry (I don't love them but he sure does!)
Next for dinner he gets birdie bread and a 1/4 tsp. Dr. Harveys Colossal Cockatiel food. He also gets a NutriBerry after dinner.
He has TOPs pellets available to him all day.
Some days I mix it up for him, chop up whatever veggie I have, usually something like bell pepper, kale or arugula, just so he can have something fresh. Maybe 3-4 days out of the week he gets some fresh fruit, usually half a blueberry, a bit of strawberry, or apple.
He gets boiled egg once (and rarely) twice a month.
As a special treat he gets a piece of sharp cheddar cheese, but that's pretty rare.
His most favorite treat is coconut oil, he goes nuts when he sees the jar, lol, but he can only have it about twice a month.

My other birds eat very similarly but the cockatiels and budgies have a bit more seed and next to no fruit in their diet as they don't eat it.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm no expert, but your diet, plus these ideas, sound good!

Here's my story...
I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products.
Another couple of ideas...
My ol' man is an athlete and health nut. He actually EATS all the good stuff, so it's always around. I find that tossing various stuff into the food bowls at random is good... the variations and differences seem to stimulate curiosity and attention.
The other idea... if you can stand it (lol) EAT the stuff in front of the birds, yes. That encourages them. I have also found that if my ol' man eats stuff in front of the bird, the bird WANTS it for himself. Kinda a rivalry thing!
For those of you interested in Harrison's...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Aww come on! Harrison’s is not bad tasting, especially compared with some of those other pellets, like fishy Zupreem. Too expensive to use as cereal, but it’s not bad for a snack to enjoy with lots of smacking and enjoyment in front of your parrot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts