Ding ding, round one (actually round 1000)

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
I have two female IRN's that I think are a month apart in age. My eldest, Missy, is still going thru "the season" (does it ever stop?) and if Gracie is, well she is hiding it well, if she is going thru it.

I reared Missy from 5 weeks old and got Gracie when she was 3 months old. Gracie was clipped when I got her and I don't think she ever learnt how to fly, so it's is only just in the last 3 days that she will actually fly to me - without being startled into flight by whatever. It has taken a year for Gracie to accept me and will now come to me, sit on my shoulder for head rubs, by her own choosing.

And that's the problem, I think it's that. That Missy is jealous?

Missy has become this absolute bully towards Gracie and I am trying to show her, Missy, love and give her my time too, but she goes out of her way to chase and bully Gracie to the point where Gracie is forced to take flight - straight down.

I am selling my birds - I can't keep up with their needs, sadly, and I have to downsize. I was going to sell them together but am thinking that maybe I need to sell them separately, for Gracie's sake. Or... will this behaviour from Missy towards Gracie, stop when "the season" ends (if it ever does - it's been months already).

Thoughts and advice, please.

Attachments

• WIN_20211118_08_56_36_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20211118_08_56_36_Pro.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 40

Ronnie27

Oct 13, 2022
México
Parrots
Esmeralda, Perla, Arcoiris, Kiwi
Well, hormones may increase some aggressive behaviors, however it is important to consider not all birds get along just like people choose who to talk to in a random situation. Some birds can feel displeased, jealous or resentful.
It also matters how we, as owners, have an interaction with our birds or how we approach the issue.

I 've never had an IRN, but I remember a female budgie who never got along with any of her neighbors and partners. She was aggressive all the time and my other birds were afraid of her, so I had to let her live happy in a cage only for her.

Esmeralda (the yellow headed you see on my profile picture) felt jealous of Perlita (my Amazona albifrons), she used to open the door of her cage at night and fly to Perlita's cage in order to harass her. As Perlita grew up, they disliked each other during almost five years... Now Esmeralda is 15 and Perlita is 6, and I have realized they tolerate each other. I have heard them "chat" in their parrot language for fun, to stay safe (when one of them hears a cat or hawk nearby, or when they feel an earthquake), to try new food, etc.

Ronnie27

Oct 13, 2022
México
Parrots
Esmeralda, Perla, Arcoiris, Kiwi
During "the season" it might be better to not force them to get along, keeping them separated (not allowed to touch each other, even though they can see each other) until the season ends. Also as owners we should be careful to keep our birds safe of hurting each other when we are not at home.

Unwanted behaviors should not be encouraged, birds (in or not in season) learn what is allowed. So, keep in mind both the aggressive bird and the calm bird are learning at the same time.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Is there any possibility it would be better for you to have just one of the birds? Then they wouldn’t be fighting and maybe you could keep the less naughty bird.

I’m only saying that because you are talking about rehoming both your birds and it seems like stress might be a lot better if they weren’t fighting. Since you haven’t room for two cages this is a way to reduce stress.

Most Reactions

Latest posts