Dingleberry

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What a thing to talk about, I know.

Every once in a while, elegant Willow ends up with a poop stuck in his feathers. Today he came out and I held him under the faucet because it was a big one. He dropped his mango (bribe) in the sink and we just got another piece.

Iā€™m sure he would have removed it soon. But should I be worried if I notice some lack of personal hygiene every once in a while?

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hmm mmmm?
In my few years with them, I've never seen poop stuck on near vent or anyplace

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
He pooped as he usually does right before coming out and it got stuck on his vent feathers. But maybe his feathers are ruffled because he hasnā€™t been getting showers. ?? I should mist Willow if he is not getting showers. (I have a new intense shower head that I donā€™t like.). Chicken bird is afraid of a bowl placed in bottom of his cageā€¦

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Do you think that misting or baths will fix this problem? Poops appear normal.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Use a really shallow side dish like a casserole dish with just 1 inch of water. Really splash in it with hand. This usually makes them jump in.

Id think it could be more his diet? Or....
Csn yiu share an image if his poops

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Use a really shallow side dish like a casserole dish with just 1 inch of water. Really splash in it with hand. This usually makes them jump in.

Id think it could be more his diet? Or....
Csn yiu share an image if his poops
Maybe Willowā€™s gotten better about it, but Willow was scared of the bathing dish last time I put it in his cage. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t normally do that.

Diet? When Iā€™m sick, their diet is pellets with occasional fruit or vegetable. Willow has been getting tiny pieces of dried mango for treat. When not sick, just a lot more extra stuffā€”fruits and vegetables and shared unsalted food.

Leligrimes

Mar 30, 2022
Parrots
Conure
Budgies
This happened with one of my budgies a year ago. He had poop hanging from his butt and couldnā€™t clean it himself and we had to end up cleaning his butt with cotton balls soaked in water and cutting some of butt feathers! One thing that helped the most was the cotton balls to remove them and use a spray bottles for baths

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Winter in the Midwest is so dry and then since the showers have been disrupted Iā€™ve noticed this. Iā€™m sure itā€™s just not being his normal clean shiny self.

Lucy had this issue sometimes but the vet pointed out that she was very old and stiff and actually couldnā€™t REACH down there, soā€¦she got sink baths when it was a problem. Oh the indignity of being old. ( I miss my green bean.)

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow is dingleberry-free today, and I have vowed to find a way heā€™ll enjoy bathing. I think the very dry winter air in the Midwest USA is part of the cause of his unfortunate ventral addition. Also, I got a new shower head that I donā€™t like. Itā€™s really strong and I donā€™t want to ā€˜blastā€™ Willow so he hasnā€™t been sharing showers with me.

I have been headachey and miserable for weeks and just found that I have an infected tooth. I will get medications for it this afternoon and should be feeling better in a few days. That will give me more energy to give Willow a more exciting diet, as heā€™s been used to but not getting, and to try some bathing methods.

Willow has been grumpy about coming out in the last few days because heā€™s been more on his own lately. He hasnā€™t seen me much cuz Iā€™ve been sick and dizzy with a toothache. He has been reluctant to step up when I come to get him, but warmed up quickly today and is licking and preening me again. (Had a couple of days where I didnā€™t get preened and I felt hurt!)

I hate that my health stuff affects my birds. Iā€™m glad pellets only are an ā€˜acceptableā€™ diet because when Iā€™m really sick that is what he gets. As soon as I start feeling better, life gets more fun for me AND my birds.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willowā€™s old owner replied to an email (with cute photos) saying that Willow was always afraid of the bathing bowl. She said she used to mist him with a spray bottle. I could do that, and I have been experimenting with this new shower to change the head position and spray. I think Willowā€™s old owner thinks I am a bit strange about my birds but he is generally very happy and not snipping his feathers any more.

The installers had my shower set up for a tall person which I am not. I would either get smacked right in the face upon stepping into the shower, or Iā€™d be under the spray. And it is very intense. Kinda scours the grime off, but not so good for a little bird. Willow did like showers and has been complaining that I am not sharing.

Weā€™ve had a couple very warm days and Willow went out on his basket into the backyard with me to sun. He enjoyed it but got scared by a skateboarder before I even saw them. Willow startled and flew downward and ended up several feet away from me. I am very careful to check his wing clip before we go out and to stay away from any dangers, but I did not like that. I WAS glad he could flutter mostly down and not far away. I am also concerned as I donā€™t want him on the ground outside. There are some birds in our courtyard and the avian flu is very dangerous!

I think itā€™s good to get sunshine but if we have unexpected flying then going out will not happen any more. Lucy could not fly AT ALL so the main worry I had with her is if she might lose her grip and fall. I wonder if Willow would be so upset about going in a carrier that being out would not be a good experience? Parrots sure do hold a grudge.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow is ok taking showers with the new shower setup. I moved the head and I just put him up on the shower curtain rod until Iā€™m ready to spend a few minutes only. bathing the bird (like hair conditioner time).

He got so completely soaked that I thought I should dry him off with a towel. I decided not to because my towels are kept in the bathroom and if heā€™s already clean, why would I wrap him up in a bathroom towel? I donā€™t know if thatā€™s silly of me. I suppose I could wrap him up in a paper towel and THAT would be clean.

Anyhow Willow smells nicer again. Not so musty; more floral. Itā€™s now HOT out and Iā€™m wondering if I ought to take him outside for some nice UV or if I should be worried about bird flu and keep him indoors. There arenā€™t many birds in my backyard (a nasty concreted courtyard) though the crows fly through every afternoon at about 3:30-4:30.

Most Reactions

Latest posts