Discolored feathers around vent

parapig23

May 2, 2021
Hello everyone,

the feathers around my budgie Dove's vent are green. I will try and get a picture. I don't know if this is normal. Also last night and this morning she was making kind of a buzzing sound. This morning it sounded more like grinding though. Can they be related? Should I schedule a vet appointment? Thank you!!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
this can be an egg binding emergency. If you gently put you finger over the vent most times you can feel the egg. If sn egg is stuck it is sn emergency.

But a messy butt is probably a serious critical issue either way.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SO true, as Laura, one of our more educated-in-parrot physiology members mentions! A discolored vent is nothing to ignore. Certified Avian Vet visit ASAP.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yeah- get her in. The clicking and tail bobbing last night + this= emergency

OP
P

parapig23

May 2, 2021
I found an avian vet near me but they are booked out until the end of may! There are no other avian vets near me! What else can I do? Would a regular vet work?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Tell the avian vet it is an emergency and beg them-- offer to pay a fee if needed or just show up....that's hit or miss...a regular vet is not going to know enough to necessarily help. Do whatever you can to get her to avian-- tell them audible breathing, bobbing tail, stained vent and about the other eggs.

OP
P

parapig23

May 2, 2021
And I think they are closing in like 5 minutes. Will it work to do it tomorrow afternoon? Or is that too late?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
call the avian one and ask- I would not wait...It's unlikely that the regular vet will have the tools needed to deal with this but you could try calling them and asking..My experience is that even vets who see parrots (who are not avian)often do not know that they do not know enough...so they are more confident than they should be because they don't understand all that they are missing..They don't know what they don't know, so asking them is sometimes tricky.

It's kind of like the difference between asking a 1st week freshman about college (the freshman feels like an expert because they have a week under their belt), vs a doctoral student who has spent 8 years there and could tell you way more.

Last edited:
OP
P

parapig23

May 2, 2021
All the vets are closed- avian and regular! What should I do? She is acting fine. I don't know what to do!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
If it's not too far, you might try showing up with her when they open..I know it's unorthodox,but they'd probably work you in if its an emergency. If it is egg binding, it generally doesn't just become fatal instantly (unless the egg breaks etc and then you are looking at a much more narrow window), but I am concerned about a variety of factors in this instance. A stained vent is a sign of a sick bird, as are the breathing sounds you mentioned. It's just hard to know without testing, but something is definitely up.

Last edited:
OP
P

parapig23

May 2, 2021
So tomorrow morning when they open I show up? I will do that. Thank you very much.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
So tomorrow morning when they open I show up? I will do that. Thank you very much.

They could tell you no, but it has worked for others in the past. I would just beg them and offer to pay an urgency fee if needed-- tell them it's been ongoing and don't downplay. The tail bobbing and respiratory sounds, followed by green vent = serious. They will know that as long as you emphasize it. You could mention that you tried calling but that no one else can see her and you are worried that she may not pull through if she doesn't get seen.

Last edited:
OP
P

parapig23

May 2, 2021
All right I will do that. Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate your concern.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Keep an eye on her don't stress her. I'd wait till avain vet in morning. Beg emergency work in I guess is best.
I agree show up! Hardwr to turnaround away in person
So sorry

OP
P

parapig23

May 2, 2021
I will do that. On an ask an avian vet I was advised to tape a heating pad on the lowest setting to one side of her cage. Should I do that?

OP
P

parapig23

May 2, 2021
I actually didn't realize this but IDK if any of these take birds. I guess I'll take her to the avian vet tomorrow. I just want to get her in ASAP

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I will do that. On an ask an avian vet I was advised to tape a heating pad on the lowest setting to one side of her cage. Should I do that?

If it isn't too hot, and f you know the heating pad contains no teflon/ptfe/pfoa/pfcs (and, ideally, not fresh out of the box, as plastics need to air out and should be used away from the bird first (due to factory coatings, VOCs etc)-- that is the tricky part....so many things that heat can be unsafe.

I'd look on amazon at things that you could buy now in case you are ever in this situation again

Most Reactions