Disease Testing Online?

JSyle

Mar 20, 2020
I wasnā€™t sure how else to word it in the title, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience in sending samples out for testing of psittacosis, pbfd, pdd, etc. to sites like IQBirdTesting? The price canā€™t be beat, I can get four tests for the price one test costs me at my vet. With that said it sounds too good to be true, they also seem to be more popular with DNA sexing more than disease testing. Just looking for some input into if they are reliable or not?

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I use avian biotech for disease testing. Vets found the results reliable & we used them for all incoming birds at the rescue I worked with. I take a toenail clipping for blood & a swab to send in. You might have to order a kit from them to get a swab. I have sterile swabs on hand for using on the snakes disease testing so I donā€™t order the kits.

https://www.animalgenetics.us/avian/Avian-Index.asp

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
General Testing has limited use unless you know what disease you are likely dealing.

Online groups have their place, but they place a high value on you knowing what you are requesting tests for. With Parrots you are commonly dealing with loss time as your Parrot is likely already very sick.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I wasnā€™t sure how else to word it in the title, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience in sending samples out for testing of psittacosis, pbfd, pdd, etc. to sites like IQBirdTesting? The price canā€™t be beat, I can get four tests for the price one test costs me at my vet. With that said it sounds too good to be true, they also seem to be more popular with DNA sexing more than disease testing. Just looking for some input into if they are reliable or not?

How would you get enough blood ?--the feather test for pdfd is not as accurate as the blood tests. Lots of people have done mail-off DNA sexing, but unless your doctor were to draw the blood for the others, I am not sure how that would work.

Most Reactions

Latest posts