Disinfect paper based toys?

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I think I already know the answer, but is there a way to disinfect toys made from paper like birdie bagels or shredding toys? (Background: my recently adopted parrot is being treated for a presumed Chlamydia infection)

I've kept the toys my bird had at the rescue and for the first month he was on antibiotics in a plastic bag because I don't want him to reinfect himself but I also can't quite bring myself to compost them yet!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I can't think of anything that wouldn't ruin the integrity of the bagels if they were washed. I think it would be better to just replace them.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I thought as much but there was a part of me hoping I was missing something magic - thank you! ❤️

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I feel tge pain....right before my out break I had bought a hundred dollars worth of toys. And I had to trash them all. They had to make do with ones I cut from brown papper bags and cardboard for a while after that, and used paperback books

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Before me just saying that they should be replaced, I should have asked if he was really attached to any of them. If so, perhaps you could find some just like his old ones so he doesn't miss them?

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I feel tge pain....right before my out break I had bought a hundred dollars worth of toys. And I had to trash them all. They had to make do with ones I cut from brown papper bags and cardboard for a while after that, and used paperback books

Oh gosh that's a hard $$ pill to swallow! 😟 Using paperback books is such a great idea!

Before me just saying that they should be replaced, I should have asked if he was really attached to any of them. If so, perhaps you could find some just like his old ones so he doesn't miss them?

Oh, yes! Good idea - I did buy duplicates of his favorites that I could find locally but his original favorite cork/balsa toy I think has to go. I'll have to track down the maker, or just visit Seattle again, ha. That toy is my own sentimentality more than his.

Mostly I felt really guilty getting rid of non-cleanable toys the rescue gave me but diseases don't care about that sort of thing!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Oh gosh that's a hard $$ pill to swallow! 😟 Using paperback books is such a great idea!

Oh, yes! Good idea - I did buy duplicates of his favorites that I could find locally but his original favorite cork/balsa toy I think has to go. I'll have to track down the maker, or just visit Seattle again, ha. That toy is my own sentimentality more than his.

Mostly I felt really guilty getting rid of non-cleanable toys the rescue gave me but diseases don't care about that sort of thing!
I bet you can recreate the cork/balsa toy, and he wouldn't even notice the difference:)

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I bet you can recreate the cork/balsa toy, and he wouldn't even notice the difference:)

He'd probably like it even better with fresh corners to chew off :)

I have been saving any steel pieces of toys and that one has a really nice chain!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I think he will also like it better because you made it:)
I save all the leftovers, they sure don't seem to mind. Helps my bank acct., though. lol

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would wonder about baking the toys in the oven at under 450F? Or taking paper parts off, sanitizing the other parts in bleach, replacing with new paper parts?

I mean, I have been known to bake paper towel or TP rolls in the oven to try to kill germs. I’m hoping it helps because my birds like to chew up TP rolls.

If it’s under 300 they don’t scorch.

Wish I knew if it really worked.

Last edited:

Most Reactions