DIY bird cage for conure?

halogen

May 18, 2013
Media
Wilmette
Parrots
Arya-Cockatiel
Tyrion-Cockatiel
Hi all, I'm hoping to adopt a conure soon, and in the meantime I'm looking into building my own birdcage for it. Sorry for the monster post, but here goes. I know very little about this besides what I've read and seen on youtube and various books and internet articles. I have planned thus far only a few things. I'd lie, to hear from you your advice and suggestion for the cage. So far I know I'm going to:

-build it with metal. I'm thinking stainless steel shelves like in retail stores. Just a steel frame with (preferably) removable shelf panels. I may cut holes in the shelving if there is any and attach ladders to make it a two floor cage with multiple ways of getting to the top (climbing the outside bars, using the ladder, etc)

-use closet shelving for the sides. I have found several kinds of closet shelving, one of them is plain stainless steel, the others are all painted stainless. I was thinking I could find a way to remove the paint without destroying the stainless steel, so they won't chew off shelf paint coating. Otherwise there is another shelf which has plastic instead of paint to coat the shelves. Is this alternative any better? The only problem with the plain stainless is that the shelving is largely vertical, and I wanted to use horizontal bars to make climbing a bit easier and faster for the fids.

-attach doors and feed holders. I honestly don't know how I'm going to pull this off. Any help or ideas are appreciated!

I do have a carpenter who we have commissioned for other household projects who may be able to help us plan, but I've been wanting to try my own hand at this endeavor first. I have no deadline and my budget is ideally under $250, but I'm flexible. Any feedback or thoughts are welcome, thanks!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Why spend 250 ON A DIY bird cage, when for around $150 you can get him one of the better commercially available cages, and still have enough left over for a little play stand?!

Honestly, that is the better way to go...

The DIY stuff rarely works out for cages. And if it's made of wood, he will chew it up...

Most Reactions

Latest posts