DIY Bird Cage?

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
Hi. I wondered what you guys thought of diy bird cages? I see many handmade large flight cages made of untreated wood and welded wire online. I have plenty of 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch welded wire on hand and would love for it to be an affordable way to provide my parakeet with more space. My biggest priority is absolutely my parakeet's safety though.

Something like this, but not so large
1640986371280.png

I made all my own rabbit enclosures with welded wire, so have experience smoothing the sharp edges and making it safe and sturdy. What are you guys' thoughts? What would the risks be? I can draw up more specific plans if needed.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
They are attractive. They are safe. So go for it if you wish. But remember that birds are destructive. This means that even a little bird like a budgie would start destroying it in no time. That wood is the perfect chew toy and birds might see it as one.

OP
Wink05

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
They are attractive. They are safe. So go for it if you wish. But remember that birds are destructive. This means that even a little bird like a budgie would start destroying it in no time. That wood is the perfect chew toy and birds might see it as one.
Ok, thanks! Is there any way to discourage chewing on the wood, such as additional toys in the cage? My local pet store has a huge selection of all natural, wood based toys

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Ok, thanks! Is there any way to discourage chewing on the wood, such as additional toys in the cage? My local pet store has a huge selection of all natural, wood based toys
Yes, a large variety of shredding toys will discourage chewing, but not much, depending on the bird. I have some of the greatest toys, all over the place, perfect for chewing, but that has not kept my amazon from chewing up my bathroom counter, my couch, my chairs, all the furniture he can get to.

OP
Wink05

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
Because the cage will be in my bedroom, I want to make it look as nice as I reasonably can. I was thinking about staining the wood. I know that most big name wood stains are non toxic once dried. Would this be a safe option? I am looking specifically at Minwax oil based stain or wood finish. I could potentially place the welded wire in a way that would block all access to the wood?

OP
Wink05

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
I am thinking about the dimensions of the cage. My welded wire is a 24” roll. Would it work to make the cage 24” wide and 24” tall? I know 37” inches was recommended, but that just sounds so tall. I don’t think I have anywhere i could fit something that tall!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
I am thinking about the dimensions of the cage. My welded wire is a 24” roll. Would it work to make the cage 24” wide and 24” tall? I know 37” inches was recommended, but that just sounds so tall. I don’t think I have anywhere i could fit something that tall!
If Wink is out of his cage enough, that size is okay!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Ok, great! Even with two in there if I get him a buddy?
With two, they need to be out a lot. But honestly I don't think Wink needs a buddy.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You say welded wire, but what it is coated with? Most meshing sold in sheets is hot dip galvanized, which means pure zinc, and zinc is toxic to parrots as they will ingest some when climbing around in the cage, or even try to chew the mesh.

THts the problem with making a DYI parrot cage- so many building materials are not made with use with parrots in mind. Cage bars or mesh has to be either stainless steel (best) or powder coated steel (what 99.99% commercial cages use) or maybe aluminum (but the bars or wires have to be pretty thick). And I dont know who said stains or other wood finishing coatings are non toxic to parrots. GOtta remember that no one is making stains or preservatives with parrots in mind. They may be non toxic to humans, because who is going to chew up stained wood? Parrots on the other hand, chew wood all the time.

OP
Wink05

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
You say welded wire, but what it is coated with? Most meshing sold in sheets is hot dip galvanized, which means pure zinc, and zinc is toxic to parrots as they will ingest some when climbing around in the cage, or even try to chew the mesh.

THts the problem with making a DYI parrot cage- so many building materials are not made with use with parrots in mind. Cage bars or mesh has to be either stainless steel (best) or powder coated steel (what 99.99% commercial cages use) or maybe aluminum (but the bars or wires have to be pretty thick). And I dont know who said stains or other wood finishing coatings are non toxic to parrots. GOtta remember that no one is making stains or preservatives with parrots in mind. They may be non toxic to humans, because who is going to chew up stained wood? Parrots on the other hand, chew wood all the time.
Ah ok. I will look into other options then.

I am having a REALLY hard time finding a suitably sized cage that my parakeet can’t get out of because of the wire spacing and such…

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
OP
Wink05

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
Would there be any way to coat the welded wire to make it safe? Such as a pet safe paint or something? I am just trying figure out what my options are!

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I've thought about making a DIY cage before--I had a dream for a while of reclaiming an old antique wardrobe or armoire and making it into a DIY cage for my doves (since they wouldn't chew). I never did because I'm hopeless with my hands but it seems like a fun project and I love all the examples you can find online!

The chewing I think would be the biggest problem, that and like wrench13 mentioned so many materials are toxic to birds.

If you're struggling to find a good cage but would buy one otherwise, I have this double flight cage for my birds, and I think the bar distance should be appropriate for parakeets. It's really expensive right now for some reason but the price fluctuates, I bought it for less than $300. It's shockingly good quality for the price. https://www.petsmart.com/bird/cages...-company-double-flight-bird-cage-5273823.html

OP
Wink05

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
I've thought about making a DIY cage before--I had a dream for a while of reclaiming an old antique wardrobe or armoire and making it into a DIY cage for my doves (since they wouldn't chew). I never did because I'm hopeless with my hands but it seems like a fun project and I love all the examples you can find online!

The chewing I think would be the biggest problem, that and like wrench13 mentioned so many materials are toxic to birds.

If you're struggling to find a good cage but would buy one otherwise, I have this double flight cage for my birds, and I think the bar distance should be appropriate for parakeets. It's really expensive right now for some reason but the price fluctuates, I bought it for less than $300. It's shockingly good quality for the price. https://www.petsmart.com/bird/cages...-company-double-flight-bird-cage-5273823.html
Very nice! I will keep an eye on the pricing on that one! Thank you. Do you think the chewing is dependent on the individual bird? For instance, I have a variety of toys, perched, and things Wink (my parakeet) could chew on, but he doesn’t! He will occasionally play with the toys, but he has never once chewed on them

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
If you do end up buying it--if you take the separator out from the center to make it one big cage instead of two smaller ones, the opening where the separator goes *might* be big enough for a budgie head. Just measured on my own cage and it's about 12mm. Based on a quick google search that should still be safe, but just something to be aware of!

Honestly, I do think chewing is dependent on the bird, but the problem is that even if your birds don't chew right away, they could discover how fun it is to chew the cage very suddenly and without you noticing. Or they could never chew... the problem is you can't possibly know whether there will be a problem until there is one, you know? Better to anticipate problems and play it safe.

Most Reactions

Latest posts