DIY cage cleaner??

PipnMe

Jul 21, 2017
PA
Parrots
Pip the Pineapple GCC
Hatch Date: May 20, 2017
Hi all! Does anyone make their own cage cleaner or "poop off" cleaners? If so would you mind sharing your recipes with me? I've read that some people use water, lemon juice, and baking soda, but I'm concerned that the combination of baking soda and lemon juice may damage my cage in the long term.

Thanks all!!
-Pip n' Me

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
is this a double-post?

YSGC

Jan 6, 2019
USA
Parrots
Pico, gender unknown, is a hand-fed Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, born 2015.
I just use water & time.

Spray on a mist of water.
Wait till poop is soft.
Wipe with paper towel.
Repeat if needed.

Nearly free, and no chemicals fumes that may harm the bird.

Water is all I need to clean my stovetop too.
In the sink I first spray with lemon juice.
Wait.
Then sprinkle on some baking soda.
Cheap, and non toxic to birds.

If there is stubborn grease I'll first warm it with a hair dryer, then rub with a paper towel.
Many cleaners like SoftScrub contain those micro-plastic abrasive beads.
I don't like contributing to ocean pollution.

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I wanted to bring up this, if you ever have bird poop on the carpet or upholstery, this stuff is AMAZING!!!!

Should work on a cage too but I'd rinse after.....

normally I just put the bottom grate in the shower while I clean the rest by hand.

Attachments

• 20190215_073841 (2).jpg
    20190215_073841 (2).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 203

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
That stuff that Clark posted IS AMAZING!

For cage/toy/bowl/perch cleaning and disinfecting, your best bet is to either order/buy some F10SC disinfectant, which kills everything and is safe for your bird, or just use a mixture of White Vinegar and hot water, or Red Wine Vinegar and hot water. Both work very well and are safe...

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Clark I have the wipes and it does wonders (especially at getting the wood pidgeon and local ringneck poop off my car!)

outside of that for cleaning the cage itself hot water, rough side of a sponge and some elbow grease will get any mess off it. For toys and perches I fill a sink with hot water and let everything sit and rinse until the water cools enough to not burn then give everything a scrub and allow to dry. Naturally make sure you save cleaning like that for when you have the time to allow everything to dry!

Ana_

Feb 15, 2019
Pompano Beach, FL
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I use vinegar about twice a month on the day cage. Take the cage outside remove all the toys, trays ropes and give it a once over with a hose, then spray pure white vinegar all over, let it be a little, while I clean or discard the toys and ropes. Then a good rinse with the water hose and let it be in the sun after wipe dry.

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
I have used Poop Off and let it soak for a few minutes. Stuff comes off easily. I also use a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. Does a great job also.

Most Reactions