DIY safety?

Othie

Apr 22, 2021
Hi guys,

I’m hoping someone could give me a link to safe items from around the house I can use to make some simple bird toys?

A good friend of mine for whom I babysit for is getting a Sun Conure in a week or two. She and her two kids (3 and 6) are so excited! I’m watching the kids this Saturday and thought they would really love to make a couple diy toys for the little guy. I’ve never had birds myself (I’ve had cats all my life and couldn’t live with myself if one got it) but I know there are some things that are not safe for birds, I’m just not sure what they are? I have some waxed hemp twine I thought would work well, and of course I have cardboard and paper....is construction paper safe? What about like twigs fallen from a tree? Or would they not be interested in that?

Also if anyone has a link for some easy diy toys I would greatly appreciate it!
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and any help you can give!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
construction paper, plastic straws, coffee filters, cupcake wrappers, cardboard, and craft foam are some I can think of off the top of my head

edit: popsicle sticks, coffee stir rods (wooden), empty toilet paper/paper towel rolls

as for fallen tree twigs make sure they from a safe tree and bake them to kill off any bugs.

Last edited:
OP
O

Othie

Apr 22, 2021
“ as for fallen tree twigs make sure they from a safe tree and bake them to kill off any bugs.”

I never would have thought of that! Honestly I didn’t even know you could bake twigs. Do you know what degree and how long to do that for by any chance?

Thank you so much for the reply, that helps a ton!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
“ as for fallen tree twigs make sure they from a safe tree and bake them to kill off any bugs.”

I never would have thought of that! Honestly I didn’t even know you could bake twigs. Do you know what degree and how long to do that for by any chance?

Thank you so much for the reply, that helps a ton!

Hi!
Below smoke!
The waxed twine is a big no! Plain hemp, no oder is OK!
All metal parts must be stainless steel! No open rings of any kind!
This should keep you busy for a while!
https://www.pethealthandnutritioncenter.com/bird-toy-safe-unsafe-material.html

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/toysafety.html

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
vegetable dye is important if you are using colored items. In moderation, those foamy ice-cream cones can be fun, but they are fortified so moderation is key.

If you use empty tubes from paper towels or toilet paper, be careful, as the adhesive can be dangerous in terms of zinc (if I recall correctly)

No twigs from a fallen tree- tress can be poisonous by nature, but even safe ones tend to suck up run-off and road salts etc. Plus, even a safe tree that is away from run-offs and pesticides can still carry fungus, bacteria and viruses. If you are certain your tree species is safe, and certain that it was not exposed to run-off, fertilizer or pesticides, and you research the bark to make sure it isn't a variety prone to toxic fungi, then you can bake them to make them safe, but it's a bigger process than you would think in order to determine what is safe.

Tree bark and wood/pulp can be toxic all by itself, but you must also consider the risk of absorption, as well as pathogenic concerns.

Last edited:

HERME

Feb 26, 2016
You can make a simple swing toy or put on Perch like in these video.

Most Reactions

Latest posts