DIY toy supplies - grass rope?

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I'm super paranoid about using items purchased anywhere other than bird safe suppliers. I know many people buy parts in the dollar store and the craft store, but I don't trust myself to choose safe materials and would rather buy from an expert in bird safety.

I follow a DIY bird toy page on FB and one of the users found this item in Lowe's, so I went to check it out. Visually it appears untreated and the labeling says "natural." It feels like dry grass and smells like hay (yes, I stood in the store sniffing ropes). Would you use this to make toys?

Shop 0.125-in x 50-ft Twisted Grass Cord Rope at Lowes.com

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I am just the same as you and if I cannot answer all the questions that go through my head just walk away. I would want to know if there are any dyes or chemicals involved in the manufacture of it. Sorry hope others can be more use to you LOL .

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I'm super paranoid about using items purchased anywhere other than bird safe suppliers. I know many people buy parts in the dollar store and the craft store, but I don't trust myself to choose safe materials and would rather buy from an expert in bird safety.

I follow a DIY bird toy page on FB and one of the users found this item in Lowe's, so I went to check it out. Visually it appears untreated and the labeling says "natural." It feels like dry grass and smells like hay (yes, I stood in the store sniffing ropes). Would you use this to make toys?

Shop 0.125-in x 50-ft Twisted Grass Cord Rope at Lowes.com

I use it. Bought some some from lowes months ago and its great and not treated though I don't have the label with me. They are selling about 5 kinds of natural rope now. They also have a coconut rope Pic below . Rope on left hand side :)
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-toys/59754-new-toy-i-made.html
christinenc2000-albums-new-picture16053-filters.jpg

Last edited:
OP
DexMom

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
Thanks! I saw the coconut rope too, but it looked so rough I was afraid it would chew up my hands. How was it to work with?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Always note the Country of Origin! The further away, the greater the likelihood of added chemicals to halt or kill bugs. This would also be true for different regions of the World i.e. Hotter / Wetter climates.

Commonly, if a good nose cannot pick-up an unusual scent, its likely gone. So, that means that if my dear wife states its OK, then its is. Mine is just not to that level of sensitivity! As a general precaution, you could always string it out, open it up, and allow it to air out prior to use. Time line: 1 to 5 days.

The term Natural is so over used (abused) that, in and of itself, it has little merit. It should only be seen as an indicator that the product was not formed Chemically.

Most Reactions

Latest posts