DIY treat sticks?

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I see online a few recipes and was wondering if anyone ever tried to make their own seed treat sticks with honey, gelatin, or egg whites as the binder? We have one hen who will kick the food out of any dish you offer it to her in, and then go hungry all day. We have been giving her store bought seed treat sticks and spray millet but not only is this expensive but it isn't the best ingredients I'm sure. I'd rather try my hand at making them from the quality seed mix we give to most of the other budgies. Plus then I wouldn't feel like I was "wasting them" giving them to the other birds who behave themselves around the food bowl. :33:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Never tried making them, but it looks easy enough. Nice evening /night project when you are simply enjoying the pease of the back woods. Sounds like a neat project.

Check or make an estimate of how much salt is being used in the pre-made stuff as if you are making it, you will be using much less as there is no need to have a six to 12 month shelf life. :D There is an outside chance that the hen is a salt junky.

Most Reactions