Do birds have dreams?

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
I live alone, with 2 birds. The only noises in my house at night are what come through the window from outside.
Early this morning (still dark). I was awakened by strange sounds coming from the living room. Bebe was flapping his wings in his cage. Flappa flappa flappa. I've seen him do that sometimes during the day, but what would spook him to do it at night?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi David! They can and do have dreams. SOme parrots have night frights, a bad dream and can get very aggitated from them. If its only occasionally, like it is with people, its not really a worry, but if its a regular occurence one can take steps to help. Leaving a nite light on , visible from inside the cage, so the bird does not wake up to total dark is one. They have terrible nite vison. Making sure the parrot goes to bed with a full belly can also help.
If the BeeBs only does this rarely, I dont think its an issue.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I live alone, with 2 birds. The only noises in my house at night are what come through the window from outside.
Early this morning (still dark). I was awakened by strange sounds coming from the living room. Bebe was flapping his wings in his cage. Flappa flappa flappa. I've seen him do that sometimes during the day, but what would spook him to do it at night?
Anything or nothing.
I have been fighting night fright for years and never found a solution.
4th of July fireworks hardly ruffles there feathers .
In my case I think it’s a chain reaction.
One bird will do something that startles the others.
But yes I suspect birds dream.
there was a time that Bingo would mumble in his sleep.

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
My two birds, I believe dream as well. I used to keep it pitch black until one of my birds had a nightmare. I know my birds can’t see well at night so I keep a nightlight on now, even though it’s recommended to keep it pitch black. 🤷🏼‍♀️

OP
JimsBrother

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
I don't cover their cages. It's lights out at 10:00 and both birds have had their heads under their wings for an hour before. Bebe's cage is below my picture window, so there's ambient light (cars going by etc.) all night. Beebs has done the flappa-flappa display while I'm in the room with him and I always figured he was just stretching his wings. This is the first time he's done it at night.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I believe the recommendation is dark. Pitch black comes from individuals that claim to be expects, but are not. Whenever I am reading advice, I first attempt to understand that Parrot's Natural Range and assure that the advice at least fits reality.

Do Parrots Dream!! Not a question in my mind, they IMHO, are active dreamers and those dreams can become very real, as do ours. The reality of their ultrahigh speed mind need something to do while sleeping /napping. What first lead me to believe that dreaming was real was watching one of my Amazons Dreaming while napping!!

Tiel's are very subject to Night Frights and it become very important to have night lights available. NOTE: Most Parrots will adjust their wings during the night and some will aggressively flap their wings, which can make a vast amount of noise in an otherwise silent home. I find a reassuring low-volume contact call helps.

A Very Happy New Years, Good Friends!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts