Do birds trim/groom their nails?

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
I noticed today that our Eclectus, Toby, is getting a little caught up on his boing rope because his nails are getting long. I said "it looks like its time to go to Dr Ross next week for a nail trim" (he hates the vet, but Dr Ross is great). I find it funny that since then, Toby has been seemingly trimming his own nails, something I've never seen before in our birds. He's been at it for quite a while after his shower today.

So, do birds trim their own nails sometimes?

I'm going to look at his nails tomorrow and see what work he's done.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I don't see any of my birds actually groom their nails except for my Quaker Tony, I've never had to trim his nails because he keeps them shorter and blunt.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I have seven parrots, and I don't trim nails at all. Some of them do "groom" their nails, mainly to keep them sharp. I offer bark-on branches, at diagonal angles, and vertically. They know they need them and need them to be sharp. Horizontal life is lacking for a parrot.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Sometimes, they make their own adventures.

Inversion therapy?
1665798303178.jpeg

1665798592187.jpeg

I think unclipped nails are required.

Wait, he's imitating me?! 😁
1665798813134.png

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow Quaker trims his nails. When he’s out with me, he will stand on one foot with the other foot in his mouth, gnawing away.
7C3C9603-F8BC-4026-AE3E-535B4BB3B2EC.jpeg

Unfortunately, Jasper doesn’t trim his nails. His feet remind me of owl talons. I have to cut a few nails at a time when I clip them, and he fists his toes as I trim which makes me fear I will lop off a toe if I’m not fast enough.

So here is willow chewing thoughtfully away at his foot. He loves to do this and will fall asleep chewing his foot.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts