Do I need to blood test my budgies/cockatiel?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
None of my birds were blood tested when I got them, because I had no idea that it's a must..(according to most people at least)

I don't think I'm financially able to, and I need mom and dad's permission. As far as I know, budgies shouldn't really be tested unless advised by a vet due to the fact that they can only loose 10-12 drops of blood before it's fatal.. I'm not sure about cockatiels.

I'm probably going to take Snowy and Pippen to a vet tomorrow(Snowy because of an ongoing medical issue, and Pipp because of.. awkward poop??)

Any advice/suggestions or info on blood tasting? TIAπŸ™‚

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I cannot agree more with your position as it makes no sense what so ever to waste your parents money on your wants.

And after all, those tiny little birds are very limited in the amount of blood that have anyway. So why waste it on a Blood Test, after all what good could it possible be in such a small quality!

Your long time experience with that group of birds should be more than enough to determine what is right or wrong regarding that specific species, right?

Pass,

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I agree. It's just too much of a risk, and most bird people aren't vets, meaning they can't decide if blood testing is right for your bird. Only a vet can do that.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Yep, I'm only going to test them if recommended by a vet. I usually spend money myself on vets but sometimes Mom will pay for the visit itself.

I don't think it's worth it to have them tested for illnesses if I risk losing their lives in the process and using sooo much money.. I just wanted a second opinion anywayπŸ™‚

Thanks everyone for the advice.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Yep, I'm only going to test them if recommended by a vet. I usually spend money myself on vets but sometimes Mom will pay for the visit itself.

I don't think it's worth it to have them tested for illnesses if I risk losing their lives in the process and using sooo much money.. I just wanted a second opinion anywayπŸ™‚

Thanks everyone for the advice.
You're welcome (RESPOND TO MY PM)!!!

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I
I cannot agree more with your position as it makes no sense what so ever to waste your parents money on your wants.

And after all, those tiny little birds are very limited in the amount of blood that have anyway. So why waste it on a Blood Test, after all what good could it possible be in such a small quality!

Your long time experience with that group of birds should be more than enough to determine what is right or wrong regarding that specific species, right?

Pass,

I KNOW Pippen would be VERY traumatized by blood testing, and so would the budgies. I think trying to take them for checkups every 12-18mon is a lot better for them than blood tests.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I

I KNOW Pippen would be VERY traumatized by blood testing, and so would the budgies. I think trying to take them for checkups every 12-18mon is a lot better for them than blood tests.

How could I not agree with your standing as an experienced small bird owner.
But, you may want to be specific in your title that your are addressing a specific species and not all Parrots and /or conditions as the What's New selection shows all new current Threads. I have long attempted to be specific when I make such far reaching statements.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
above us very true. If I was breeding and bringing in burds I might consider testing even in little ones.

I know my vet won't do routine healthy burd blood work on green cheek size and smaller. While she will on quaker size or larger.
Sick birds of small size case by case bases

Most Reactions

Latest posts