Do I still need to quarantine?

Lynsey

Jul 30, 2014
Parrots
Fonzie - White Capped Pionus (male) - Hatched 5/24/14
Betty - Brown Headed Parrot (female) - Hatched 12/15/22
So I currently have a WCP that turns 8 next month. He plucks his feathers when he knows I am home and leave to go to another room. He never does it when I am at work or he is out. He is out all day when I am not at work (work 3 days a week). On days I work he says "bye bye, be good, I gotta go to work" haha. He has out of cage time after I get home too. So I got a baby Brown Headed Parrot recently. They will have separate cages and gyms etc. But I am having a hard time splitting my time to spend with the new baby without worrying my current WCP is gonna pluck when I go upstairs. I can't wait to be able to have them in the same room. So I took my baby to the vet. She had blood work done. CBC, Chlamydophila Psittaci PCR, Psittacine Circovirus PBFD PCR, and a fecal. Everything was negative. CBC was normal. She has been in quarantine upstairs in another room for 2 weeks. She is happy, and eating well. My question is do I have to continue to quarantine with all the lab work coming back normal?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would feel pretty comfortable ending quarantine after a safe vet check.

I know you canā€™t check for all bird viruses, but if your bird is having anxiety issues, maybe ending quarantine is better. Itā€™s just a chosen time limit anyhow. ??

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We were told after we did the same testing you did with our vet that we were safe to end quarantine. It has been 3 weeks for us.

Of course, I have the opposite problem that you do! I think the new bird in the room is making my other bird more anxious than he was with having me spending less time with himā€¦ thatā€™s something to consider.

OP
Lynsey

Lynsey

Jul 30, 2014
Parrots
Awesome, my vet called me and said the same thing. Yay!! They met for the first time. I was so afraid that my WCP would totally freak out. Nope, he was sorta afraid, but totally chill. My WCP hung out on my shoulder got lots of pets. The new baby on a stand right by us. Even held each one on my hand, but not too close. We hung out for an entire movie! My WCP favorite...Jurassic World. He loves all the movies and goes nuts with just the theme song now. Today I moved them to the same room. Now the hard part....the dogs are freaking out. They are used to my WCP, but not the new baby. Baby Betty is like whatever, and just chilling playing with toys. She even went to the bottom and chewed on foot toys, kinda like neener neener neener. haha. She is in a Kings large aluminum travel cage up on a tall table thing, so the dogs can't get to her. They aren't aggressive, just curious and want to play, they are labradoodles. My chihuahua couldn't care less. Still waiting for my new cages to come for both. They are getting upgrades! New stainless steel from Freedom cage. I hope they come out nice. I really like the feeder system. They got new gyms and toys. Figure best to almost start over so my WCP doesn't claim anything as his anyway. Everything will be new.

OP
Lynsey

Lynsey

Jul 30, 2014
Parrots
We were told after we did the same testing you did with our vet that we were safe to end quarantine. It has been 3 weeks for us.

Of course, I have the opposite problem that you do! I think the new bird in the room is making my other bird more anxious than he was with having me spending less time with himā€¦ thatā€™s something to consider.
haha, my WCP didn't even notice there was another bird upstairs. She would call out and he didn't even notice or anything. Kinda like...hello? How have you not noticed? But he hears bird noises outside all the time, so maybe he just thought it was from outside?

Most Reactions

Latest posts