Do my parrots gets sad or stressed because I am? (Plucking)

littleparrotlets

Sep 23, 2019
United States
Parrots
Female American Blue Parrotlet.
Male Turquoise Peid Parrotlet.
Male Black Headed Caique.
I've been having a really hard time lately, and the other day was the worst. I broke down crying and all, and I usually keep it in. Both of my parrotlets were around when I did. My parrotlet I've had for a while now doesn't seem phased and is fine, but my baby parrotlet I've had for a few months started plucking after that day and since I've gotten depressed. She's not too bad yet with the plucking since it's only been a few days, but I don't want it to get worse (I am watching).

So do parrots know when we're sad and stressed? The baby that is plucking has never had issues with plucking, but she is an anxious bird and always gets startled easily. Anytime I try and introduce any toy, my older parrotlet gets excited and will play, but the baby will get spooked and fly away or she'll just step away from my other bird and the toy. I try and do things slowly with her with new things, but she still is a very anxious bird in general. It's just her personality.

So is it possible that she's picking up on my mood and everything? And does anyone have any tips for what I can do to help keep her from plucking? If she continues, I'm going to take her to her vet to get checked out and make sure there's not something physically wrong and that it's not just a coincidence, but for now, I just wanted to know if there's anything I can do and if it's possible that it's because of how I've been emotionally.

Thank you in advance! I don't want my babies to be sad too. :( :whiteblue:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Certainly! Birds can/do pick up on our emotions! When Smokey passes away (she was with Amy and I 28 years) I was very depressed,and so was Amy. For weeks,Amy just sat on his nite-nite perch and wouldn't move,he'd come down to eat something or get a drink then climb right back to his perch,he wouldn't even come out of his house! Then one day, I was on the couch,still very depressed about Smokey,and Amy came out of his house and climbed down to the floor and walked over to the couch. He ended up climbing up my pant leg,then up my SHIRT to snuggle under my chin! In almost thirty years he has never done that! He just laid there,under my chin,letting me skritch his head and face as he softly mumbled Amazon noises to me..All was good after that day for both of us. Believe me,they KNOW!

Jim

Smerft85

Jun 10, 2019
Colorful Colorado with colorful birds
Parrots
6 budgies, 3 cockatiels, 1 amazon and two Indian ringnecks
I don't remember why, but I was in a very bad way one day, my wife brought poppy, my female cockatiel out to me first thing in the morning while I was having my coffee, she got right up on my shoulder (I know, not highly recommended) and she sat there nibbling my earlobe and doing her little chirps in my ear, ultimately she is the reason I forgot what I was upset about, and she was only 12 or 13 weeks old at that point, even as a chick she has always been able to pick my mood, and always has a way of fixing it. They are SUPER smart, and if they are bonded either solely to you, or you are their "main human" they pick up on all of it, and generally they feel the same way about you as you do for them, some just show it more than others.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sorry to read that you are so depressed. Cheer up, life is too short to be that sad and depressed; believe me I know.

And yes our parrots do have empathy with us, and can sense when we are happy or sad and everything in between, and it does not matter if we try to hide it by faking being happy and cheerful - they know!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Parrots absolutely detect our moods as they are keen observers of their environment. Precisely how they interpret is a matter of conjecture, but the response varies, ie anger, sadness, excitement, etc.

Please don't blame yourself for plucking. Very doubtful it is an inflicted result of your sadness. Plucking is among the most difficult of behaviors to understand and manage. Please read this thread for more info: http://www.parrotforums.com/behavioral/52217-plucking-search-answers.html

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Sorry you've been having a hard time. I hope you find peace. I like to watch a sunrise to reset my mood.
When I was stressed over the hurricane, my plucker started plucking after a month or more of not plucking.
I guess it shows how much they are in tune with us.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
They can tell--- everything from your mannerisms, speech, to sleep schedule/energy level, to your pulse...Heck, they can see things we can't (like capillaries and crazy heat-based-skin-color changes in some cases)...Plus, when sad or angry, we often treat them differently.

Last edited:
OP
L

littleparrotlets

Sep 23, 2019
United States
Parrots
Parrots absolutely detect our moods as they are keen observers of their environment. Precisely how they interpret is a matter of conjecture, but the response varies, ie anger, sadness, excitement, etc.

Please don't blame yourself for plucking. Very doubtful it is an inflicted result of your sadness. Plucking is among the most difficult of behaviors to understand and manage. Please read this thread for more info: http://www.parrotforums.com/behavioral/52217-plucking-search-answers.html
Thank you. I'll read that!

OP
L

littleparrotlets

Sep 23, 2019
United States
Parrots
They can tell--- everything from your mannerisms, speech, to sleep schedule/energy level, to your pulse...Heck, they can see things we can't (like capillaries and crazy heat-based-skin-color changes in some cases)...Plus, when sad or angry, we often treat them differently.
I had no idea!

Most Reactions

Latest posts