Do parrots lose a bit of weight whilst molting?

mango_&_sunny

Nov 14, 2021
Parrots
Fischer's Lovebirds
My Lovebird has been molting for a few months now. I haven't been weighing him everyday lately but last time he was weighed in September he was about 42 grams in the morning before breakfast. He now weights 40 grams. Should I be concerned. Fairly active and no other signs of illness. Could it just be that he has lost a whole heap of feathers?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
My Lovebird has been molting for a few months now. I haven't been weighing him everyday lately but last time he was weighed in September he was about 42 grams in the morning before breakfast. He now weights 40 grams. Should I be concerned. Fairly active and no other signs of illness. Could it just be that he has lost a whole heap of feathers?
how does his poop look?

40 grams is it too much to lose in my opnion a vet vist would be the best and safer route!

if u cant find a vet..

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
I am concerned with the reduction in weight. To put back on the weight, will he take any high energy, easy to digest food like banana, mango, boiled pumpkin?

OP
M

mango_&_sunny

Nov 14, 2021
Parrots
Fischer's Lovebirds
how does his poop look?

40 grams is it too much to lose in my opnion a vet vist would be the best and safer route!

if u cant find a vet..
Hi, Sorry for the late reply. We ended up away for a few days. Just to reiterate. It was 2 grams that was lost not 40 :). All good, he has put it back on now and I have a good Avarian vet that is local to me should I need them. Thanks so much.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
So 2 grams is nothing to worry about. Now that you're concerned try weighing her in the morning and evening every day for a week and write it down. I bet you see a small fluctuation which is normal. I try to weigh my Nike every day when I take her out of the cage.

Budgierose

Dec 10, 2021
Parrots
Hi! I am Budgierose! I don't have any birds yet but I love to learn about them and help others with my budgie information!
Hi! First I will tell you that I don't have birds yet, and I don't know that much about them but I did some research to construct this message hope it helps! I would just monitor his weight to see if it drastically drops, it shouldn't be an issue because lovebirds have quite alot of feathers and when they lose feathers they lose weight. I would also make sure that he is eating regularly and a substantial amount of a food including a balanced diet of seed, pellets, and fruit. If that doesn't make things better, make sure your bird is getting a sufficient amount of Vitamin A because that is the most important for a birds feathers and makes them stronger.

Most Reactions

Latest posts