Do seagrass tents make parrots hormonal?

parrotkinkajou23

May 16, 2021
Parrots
Blue, blue quaker parrot
I was thinking about buying my pet a seagrass tent thing since my bird loves going behind something to sleep, but since Happy Hut (or something similar) + parrot = near certain disaster, I was wondering if seagrass tunnels or huts have the same effect. (Not the choking part but the hormonal part.
So if anyone has experience with these seagrass things can you please give me an answer?
Thanks to everyone,
Blue, 9 month old Quaker parrot:blue2:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Hi!

I am very curious what others have to say, for my little conure I also have a big carton tube for him where he can settle for sleeping. He never goes there during day, only when it is dark and he goes to sleep. Often he will sleep even next to it, not in it. For now I am keeping it because he doesn't use it during day. My little Pascal is 10-11 months old.

As soon as I see that he goes in more often or he becomes super hormonal, i will remove it. Until now it's his late night sleeping place so I don't want to take it away from him. Also, he loves to chew on it.

Since you would use like a seagrass mat, I guess it's pretty much see-through so I think it should be ok.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
yes anything that provides a dark corner or bed like structure can cause hormonal issues. If you're going to supply one of these though the seagrass mats are by far the safest option as they can tear at them without fear of crop impaction

OP
P

parrotkinkajou23

May 16, 2021
Parrots
Blue, blue quaker parrot
Ok thanks!
But still, since my parrot always tries to regurgitate on me, I am just worried that these things will make my parrot moody and territorial.
I am still worried that it might be too dark...

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You should get rid of any hut or hut-like object (if it's a tunnel or a sleeve or dims the light around them, it's a potential nest-- even a room with dark colored walls can do this--as shadowy spaces are nesting spaces and you are already seeing the proof. I once let Noodles play with a very shallow box (less shallow then a shoes box, turned on its side) and within a few weeks she was quaking etc (panting etc)..Get rid of anything even remotely shadowy. They can sleep on a perch just fine **do remove it when your bird isn't looking, and don't be surprised if you get some upset--- it will possibly take time because instinctively they know to hold onto their nests...but unless breeding, they wouldn't use them...They ALL love shadowy spaces (just like they love other sexual stuff, like petting under the wings etc etc-- also bad!!)

Even being on a high-backed couch or bookshelves/under tables etc in broad daylight is more than enough to trigger most. Seriously, I'd just get rid of anything even remotely shadowy and make sure you are getting her 10 hours sleep per night (dark/quiet) on a set schedule.

Pet on the head and neck only and avoid paper crinkles or any easily shredded toy during this stint (although the no touching other than head and back, 10 hours sleep nightly and no shadowy spaces should be lifetime rules with your bird).

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts