Do seed gaurds help mess on the floor?

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Just wondering because the cage I'm planning on getting doesn't have one.... Is it worth the extra money? Or should I just buy a cage skirt or dont get anything?

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Savannah, 4 year old Hahns Macaw
Mine really help because Savannah spends time on her cage door and on top her cage. So when she poops, it lands on the guard. All I have to do is wipe it up! It would be a nightmare otherwise since she is on carpet. Though the door comes out farther than the seed guard when opened so I also have a covered tray beneath it incase she is out farther. She likes to grab food and come outside her cage to eat it, so it really helps with that too. She has little mess and crumbs that land on the carpet.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
They definately work great! All of Rio's mess stayed in the guard. Then they would be easily taken off and cleaned.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Seed guard works great! As cockatiels can be very messy!

OP
Atwee921

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
So do you think it is worth the extra money?

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Savannah, 4 year old Hahns Macaw
It is really up to what you feel is more important. Either save money and go through a little extra cleaning or spend the extra money for convenience. Either way, I would go with the cage that is going to make you happiest. A well-built cage will be with you for a long time so it is good to invest in something you like.

OP
Atwee921

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Hmmm... Thats a good point. I think I'll go with one that requires less cleaning so instead of cleaning I can play with my birdy :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Skycon made a nice point there!!!! Now with seed guards with my eclectus, it doesn't work....lol They throw food FAR out!!!

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I love my seed guards, they seem to keep the mess down. I really can't use them now since we move his cage between my bedroom & dining room. They are too wide for the doors, I really miss them. I'm thinking of a sleep cage so I can use them again. Will you be moving your cage around the house?

OP
Atwee921

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
I love my seed guards, they seem to keep the mess down. I really can't use them now since we move his cage between my bedroom & dining room. They are too wide for the doors, I really miss them. I'm thinking of a sleep cage so I can use them again. Will you be moving your cage around the house?
Probably not, and I measured the width of where I am (probably) going to put the cage and that bigger cage that I posted the link of is fine.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
They do work really well but I don't use ours. When we brought the cage home and set it up I didn't bother putting our seed guards on because it makes the cage take up a lot more room and we are already having a slight space issue with her humongous cage. Fortunately, we have hard wood floors so any poop that gets on the floor from her being on top of her cage all day is wiped up pretty easily with some vinegar and a towel. And our dog eats anything so he waits until she drops any food and quickly eats it :) I guess you don't need the seed guards when you have a dog that works as a seed catcher :)

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
They work pretty well for catching seeds, but poop? Well, that's another story. Bitty likes to climb around on the seed guard, and when the moment is upon her, it just gives her a lower point from which to drop her ordinance. Oh well, I guess that's what the big plastic office chair mat under her cage is for.

Most Reactions

Latest posts