Do we have any iguana people on here?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think setting up my little fish tank has put pets on my mind;) and while it will be several YEARS before I finally pull the trigger, Iā€™m starting to do my research on an animal Iā€™ve always wanted and likely the last big commitment animal Iā€™ll ever get- a green iguana. Iā€™ve always admired them since I was a kid but the biggest reptile I ever had room for before was Tiffany my bearded dragon who was about 2ā€™ long but tiny compared to a full grown iguana! Before I get one, I know weā€™ll have to have a house because they grow 6ā€™ long and require enclosures about the size of Kiwiā€™s cage or possibly larger once full grown and there is no room for that here. Still, Iā€™m now really dreaming of one:D I know reptiles arenā€™t affectionate per se but mine were both friendly, hand tamed and handled daily from babies, and harness trained as well (no joke, Iā€™d put my lizards on leashes and take them outside all the time lol). I know thereā€™s a lot of people discouraging ā€˜typicalā€™ pet owners from buying iguanas, but Iā€™m an all in person when I get animals and am experienced in reptiles and difficult/pricey/time consuming ā€œexoticsā€:green::rolleyes:

Just kind of wondering what people who own them think of them in general? What kind of/size enclosure does your adult live in?Are they actually full on vegetarians? Iā€™ve fed insects and baby mice for years and am in no way squeamish about it but one of my big draws to iguanas is they are theoretically vegetarians. Obviously though, I would provide whatever diet is appropriate. Would ask more on reptile forums but am sure as a newcomer would be immediately be jumped all over just as newcomers her sometimes are when they ask about macaws or cockatoos (and rightfully so). But you all know me to be responsible so figured Iā€™d dip my toe in here first:)

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Lol. I bet they do make big poops! At least they donā€™t poop like 20 times a day like someone else I know:green::21: My gecko and beardie both pooped once a day and always in the same spot they chose for unknown reasons (nope I didnā€™t train them). Might have to litter box train an iguana lol:eek:

I had read females tend to make better pets than males. My female beardie was lovely, very gentle but then again so was my male leaopard gecko. Both were handled daily, like literally set aside time to do so to ensure they remained tame. Still have to learn more about gender. Iā€™ve literally never considered gender before with pets and just bought individuals I liked but with a potentially 6-7ā€™ long dinosaur (I know females are typically smaller) it may matter a tad more:D

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The thing with iguanas is that they can grow VERY large, much like pythons. A 2 foot iguana will grow into a 7 or 8 foot one (with tail) and that requires a huge tank or enclosure to keep them happy and well cared for. And yes they can be fed as vegetarians, but to do so requires a wide range of vegetables. Almost more then a parrot does. And they can be picky about what they like to eat. We made the mistake with ours and let him have lettuce, and he started to refuse to eat anything else, which was his ultimate demise. Lettuce has very little food value.

Our Jub Jub did not like to be handled and used that whipsaw of a tail to tell us so. We even had the little iguana harness to take him outside in the yard. All he did was the iguana deathroll, trying to free himself.

I wish you luck if you get one. I was a huge reptile fan, with turtles, lots of snakes, lizards, well aware of how to take care of them. The iguana was the hardest one to try and keep heathy and well.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
If you live alone, do not get an iguana. They're really a pet thats good to have more than one person available encase there are ever any injuries or it needs to be handled. I know they're prone to "tail whipping" which can REALLY hurt. If not break bones. And their teeth are no joke. I would also only get one if you either have a good amount of space to build an enclosure (think macaw aviary) or are in a place of the world where the weather would accommodate an outdoor enclosure.

Most Reactions

Latest posts