do you ever think about this??

haleybird

Mar 1, 2013
california
Parrots
someday very soon a hyacinth! :)
So one of my favorite things to do when I'm online is read stories about people and their birds. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy reading about all the cute, funny, intelligent, and mischievous things birds can do. Anyways, I started typing in hyacinth macaw sto--and google inputed what it thought I was going to type, and the first word that came up was not stories, but stolen. So I clicked on it, and all of these awful stories of people who have lost their beloved fids to a thief. ..not just the hys, but all kinds of macaws. I've often wondered and worried about this, and reading all these stories further solidified my...whats the right word for this...worry, angst, (slight) paranoia?

Does anyone else worry like I do? Because while I dont have my fid yet, I still feel the need to think about all of these things...the good, the bad, and the downright scary.

Luckily for me, I live in a rural area where its really easy to tell if someone is trying to follow your car (creepily enough, this has happened to me more than once...) my friends (and mom and grandma) half jokingly say I need a body guard.) Which means I guess no solo roadtrips across country in a vw bus for me :/
But I suppose having lovely birds, people have to take certain precautions about protecting them too, right? How do you guys deal with situations like this? Is it a worry that crosses your mind too, or is it just me being slightly (and understandably) neurotic about stranger danger/creepers?

I have always wanted to be able to take my fid with me everywhere I go, and part of me is always going to be concerned about variables like that.

Of course with a beak as "imposing" as a hy, the average person may be intimidated? I wonder if you could trick train an alarm call type of situation--like a little kid screaming if a stranger tried to grab them? I know its a risk we all take going out into the world, but someday I anticipate if I have kids, I'll be putting a harness on them too...

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
It does worry me, and I don't like leaving Rosie home alone. I always close my blinds at night when Rosie's cage is the most visible, and I avoid taking her around in our neighborhood but rather take her in a car to somewhere a couple miles away. A intimidating bird can easily be pulled into a pillowcase and stolen.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
It does worry me, and I don't like leaving Rosie home alone. I always close my blinds at night when Rosie's cage is the most visible, and I avoid taking her around in our neighborhood but rather take her in a car to somewhere a couple miles away. A intimidating bird can easily be pulled into a pillowcase and stolen.

I actually saw a video of two people stealing cockatoos from a pet store that way.

We have a very aggressive german shepherd who keeps people away, so home alone doesnt worry me, but when I take Hahnzel with me I take him inside wherever I go.

Last edited:

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
I have thought of this, I have an alarm system and i live in a neighborhood where everyone is always home so for me that is lucky. Still scary though...

Shayne

Jan 9, 2013
I'd like to think my macaw would scream the house down and wake me up if some stranger tried to grab him in the night. Then it would be 2 on one against the theif as my housemate would get woken too.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
No, not really. I live in a state where you can literally shoot first and ask questions later and where it's almost as easy to get a concealed weapons permit than going through the drive through window at Mcdonalds.

My house is protected by not only Smith & Wesson, but also Glock and Ruger as well not to mention a few really nosy neighbors:)

Cami

Mar 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
9 1/2 yr old B&G, Spencer. 15 1/2 yr old Indian Ringneck, Edmund.
It scares the heck out of me, especially if I have workers over or something of the such, and comments are made like, 'those birds are so expensive' really throws up the red flag and makes me even more over protective than I already am.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
No, not really. I live in a state where you can literally shoot first and ask questions later and where it's almost as easy to get a concealed weapons permit than going through the drive through window at Mcdonalds.

My house is protected by not only Smith & Wesson, but also Glock and Ruger as well not to mention a few really nosy neighbors:)

ROFLMAO. THAT was an awesome answer!!! New Jersey MUST adapt these laws. ;)

I'm not too worried about it either. I won't mention any possible "stashes"...but I DO have 2 large dogs, one of which is everything BUT people friendly. :54: :D

secuono

Mar 8, 2013
Virginia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure, Cipher
Green Cheek Conure, Kirby
I've thought about this for my other animals, some of my rabbits can be pricey and my sheep, I know stealing horses is common, so I worry about my two and never mention their names online or anywhere else. Rabbits are behind hot wire, other critters behind several sets of gates and the hot wire. Our Dober would most likely bite your face off and then ask questions.
All 4 dogs bark when they hear a car slowing unnaturally or pulling into the drive, which I can also hear most of the time in and near the house. We're right on the road and can hear people coming about half a mile away and can tell which bridge they just crossed and such.
We're even researching security cameras for the house and pastures. A few months ago, some person in a van pulled up to a house with some goats grazing in the front pasture, I believe their kid was out there with them and the people stole a goat in pure daylight!
Our doors are always dead bolted and if you do happen to trespass or break in, we're armed and will aim for legs.
I've been followed countless times on my trips, I just keep going past exits or my house and such. Drive into a police lot or very public place and loose them. Even had really off people bang on the door, we never answer the door even for cops. We didn't call/invite them, we aren't opening the door for craps and giggles.
I want to take Cipher places with me, but I'm kind of worried about the creeps who are out there...He's not that pricey of a bird, but still, he's our annoying nippy baby!

WeimerHeimer

Sep 11, 2012
York,PA
Parrots
Finches, Conures, Amazon Parrots, Cockatoos, & Macaws
Pet Theft is a wide spread issue in the United States. People steal all tyoes of animals besides birds ..... dosg, reptiles, etc..... I took my son about 2 years ago to buy a snake from a guy, found his ad on Craigslist. When we got to his house he had a sign on the door that said, "No Longer Selling Feeders Due To Recent Robbery". WEll, I had to ask him the obvious question, .......what happened?. This guy was HUGE snake breeder, big expensive snakes. He said he use to raise and sell the feeder mice and rats. People were come and going all the time buying the feeders. One evening him and his wife left for dinner and were gone for about 4 hours. When they got home someone had broke in and stole ALL of his snakes. Some of these were LARGE breeder snakes like Boa's and Pythons. He siad police figured someone who knew that he had valuable snakes like and where he had them in his basement had to to be the peron(s) who stole them. Not everyone knows how to handle a 10-foot Boa.

Real shame that one has to think of these issues, but you do and you have to be careful.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
LMAO.......let 'em try...........not that they'd get by me or the wife anyway but ReaRea and Miri would literally shred anyone that tried to handle them. :D

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
We have house keepers who come every other Friday. We've known Sandra since I was in 5th grade. She's really nice but I'm glad I keep Rosie in my room, one because they use cleaners(I have to open all the windows to let it air out until there's no more smell) and because she brings her employees who I do not know well. I worry that if they know about Rosie they might come back later to steal her. I always try to be home when the house keepers are here, they are here right now and I always hide in my room lol.
We also have a gardener who comes every Wednesday. if I'm walking out with Rosie I let him see her because he likes birds, but if he has a assistant with him I wait until they are gone to bring rosie out.

When we had the kitchen remodeled I didn't know the workers were there already and I was taking Rosie out, it worried me that they saw her but nothing bad ever happened.

I wish we had a security system, my parents are thinking about getting one but haven't yet. It would make me feel a lot safer knowing we would have warning if someone broke in.

OP
haleybird

haleybird

Mar 1, 2013
california
Parrots
someday very soon a hyacinth! :)
Back in high school, my best friend had her two horses stolen right out of her field...three days later, the cops found both horses in a parked trailer...so she got them back, but those three days were so scary for her. People steal dogs all the time too out here...I guess its a problem all pet owners/guardians have to contend with. My parents used to show our dogs, but dropped from the show circuit because of theft and people poisoning contenders. Plus our dog was quite the free spirit, and had much more fun just being a big dog/livestock/home protector.
And lol, my neighbors are all of the nosey, gun toting variety too....we pull out the binoculars whenever a strange car is spotted on the road.

Of course I'll still always worry about things like that! Lol
I

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
I'd be worried if they were outside, but inside not so much. We live in a lower income neighbourhood but not a lot of people around here seem familiar with birds. That aside, we always lock the door and I'm sure we'd here anyone if they tried to break in, since we have three birds and I doubt you could silence them all. With the windows blinds closed, the only thing I have to worry about is a daylight robber with a good ear.

Cami

Mar 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
9 1/2 yr old B&G, Spencer. 15 1/2 yr old Indian Ringneck, Edmund.
LMAO.......let 'em try...........not that they'd get by me or the wife anyway but ReaRea and Miri would literally shred anyone that tried to handle them. :D

Oh yea, agreed. Spencer lets me know when I can touch him, and he seems to dislike men a lot, so my money is on Spencer should anything happen. Never p!ss off a macaw.

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
Yes, I think about it. I have a house alarm (every single door and window), with motion sensor down the hallway and glass breakage alarm. I'm thinking of getting the nanny cams so I can access via my phone. I also invited the police in my small town to my house (fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie time!) to meet my birds and do a walk-through so they know where they are in case of an emergency. People in big cities probably don't have that advantage, but with family members in law enforcement, I took the opportunity. I WANT the local police to know if my house alarm gets reported, that I have birds and they go there FAST. I try like anything not to have any false alarms, too, so if it is reported they take it seriously. They can be at my house in three minutes, being three blocks away. My larger birds are microchipped but I'm not sure how much that would mean anything if they were gone. Probably means very little. You'd have to find them first and then have enough proof to order the scan.

I'm truly terrified of losing my birds when I'm not here (theft, fire, them escaping their cages and getting hurt, anything). I work from home and I try not to be gone long when I have errands (and often there is a family member home with them, with elderly family member and adult kid still living here). With the alarm, I do rest somewhat easier but not completely. It would be very difficult to get over a theft of my birds.

Hopefully, someone will post some other good ideas about avoiding theft. I used to leave our dog loose when we were gone, but then one of my birds got out once and I thought of what COULD of happened (he was fine, though), so now I crate him when we're gone.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
We have a house alarm too, the only thing that gives me comfort is that it is easier for them to take and sell electronics than try and get the birds in the short time they have. I also never leave the travel cages out just in case.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Pet Theft is a wide spread issue in the United States. People steal all tyoes of animals besides birds ..... dosg, reptiles, etc..... I took my son about 2 years ago to buy a snake from a guy, found his ad on Craigslist. When we got to his house he had a sign on the door that said, "No Longer Selling Feeders Due To Recent Robbery". WEll, I had to ask him the obvious question, .......what happened?. This guy was HUGE snake breeder, big expensive snakes. He said he use to raise and sell the feeder mice and rats. People were come and going all the time buying the feeders. One evening him and his wife left for dinner and were gone for about 4 hours. When they got home someone had broke in and stole ALL of his snakes. Some of these were LARGE breeder snakes like Boa's and Pythons. He siad police figured someone who knew that he had valuable snakes like and where he had them in his basement had to to be the peron(s) who stole them. Not everyone knows how to handle a 10-foot Boa.

Real shame that one has to think of these issues, but you do and you have to be careful.

Since it was his business he could probably claim the loss on his insurance and taxes both. But losing a bird is more than money, its like someone stealing my son or daughter at this point.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I have an alarm system and it was put to the test the day I took both my mini macaws in for their yearly check ups. I had went out the front door after arming the alarm but forgot to lock the door. Since the front door was never installed properly a gust of wind will open the door if it is not locked. Well since the front door was not locked and it was a windy day the door ended up blowing open engaging the alarm system and the police came while I was out taking the birds to the vets.

I came home to a note from the police to call them. I saw evidence that they had went in every room in my house and checked. Because the cages were empty I am sure they thought "thieves" took my parrots.

I ended up talking to one of the officers that had answered the alarm call and learned the response time of alarm engaging to police actually getting to my house was pretty impressive. I would not recommend testing your alarm system this way but the "accident" or false alarm call gave me more piece of mind with a very good response time. I am confident the police would get to my house in time to catch who ever would break in.

Difference between that experience and now is I now have Mercedes my Scottish Terrier. However when I am out she is kenneled so she would not be much help if someone broke in while I was out. However if I was home I am convinced she would protect my, Julianna my ragdoll cat and Valentino RFM with her life. She can have what ever is left over after I was done with them. I have picked up particular skills while serving my country so I have no problem disarming a person with a gun and rendering them unconscious. I just have to be careful not to kill them while I am doing this. I think the laws here might not put me in prison if that were to happen.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
When I got a few of my "rarer" species of parrot the rescue people were all worried about people trying to steal These birds fromme. We have no worries we have weapons as stated before if anyone tried to come and steal or birds.

As well I love to see someone try and steal some of my birds they are liable to lose a digit or two in the process. There's a pro to dealing with the aggressive ones:)

Most Reactions