Do you give your birds (safe) tea?

bonecat

Jan 20, 2020
Recently our keet, Selene, had a vet appointment for a check up and a nail trim (clean bill of health). She seems like a pretty nervous bird in general-- she isn't tame and I've only just recently gotten her to start eating millet off a stalk I'm holding-- but after her appointment she's been particularly anxious, going around with all her feathers sucked in and screaming at the slightest sound from birds outside. I called the vet to see if they had any advice and they said to try giving her some tea?

A quick search revealed that some people do give their birds herbal tea in the belief that it's good for their health. Have any of you tried this? Obviously I'm not going to give my teeny tiny bird anything caffeinated, but maybe some chamomile tea in her water would help her relax a little (ļ¼›Ā“āˆ€ļ½€)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
So yes, some of us do. Donā€™t expect any miracles, itā€™s just tea. Itā€™s not going to fix anxiety or plucking - and thatā€™s coming from someone who is owned by a barberer.

Many of us actually use the dry tea as topping to their regular food, we donā€™t actually brew the tea. I use some combination of herbal tea from the grocery store, herbs in the cabinet (Herbal tea IS herbs after all), and avian teas from greywood manor.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
I use some combination of herbal tea from the grocery store, herbs in the cabinet (Herbal tea IS herbs after all), and avian teas from greywood manor.

Fascinating! I'd read about parronts offering tea (leaves) on one of the FB groups, too. What sort of herbal tea, exactly, do you offer your birds, Chris? šŸµ

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I use greywood manor avian tea (pretty plume) and I have a lavender/mint tea I bought from the grocery store. These are the two i primarily use. Mainly because I came across both fairly close together in time, and theyā€™ve lasted a long time.

But what are herbal teas, if not primarily dried herbs? So many of the herbs you have in your cabinet can often be used to top dress the food: parsley, cilantro, mint, lavender, ginger, cumin, celery seeds, coriander, sage, peppercorns, sesame seeds, to name but a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This new World, we are living in and the requirements we are faced with in prison Michigan requires us to turn over our Amazon to a Tech at the edge of the driveway in front of their door. Then we wait until the Tech come back with our Amazon. Oops, forgot that one pays first and then you get the Parrot back. Anyway, our in your face Amazon is returning Stressed to the hilt!

Relocate the SUV in the parking lot and open his travel cage and receive our tuff guy, who is looking for a larger opening between my shirt and neck to find comfort, truly stressed out.

IMHO, Parrots who have been stressed-out by a Vet visit will be comforted better and faster with their Human next to them, speaking in a soft tone: The World is okay, your my best buddy, etc, etc, etc...

Most Reactions

Latest posts