Do you snore?

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I have to assume that I normally don't.

I have a cold right now. (Yes, I got tested - it's a cold, nothing more.) Following normal progression of a cold.

But I actually think i Might have not had any cold since getting my birdies, don't recall if I had a cold the first year, and then 2020 not going out anywhere never exposed, no annual cold last year...

So normal progression, first a sore throat, then nasal symptoms, then next (for me, with asthma) chest congestion.
Congestion is not too bad this time BUT i assume I must've started to snore.

Why? BECAUSE. Last night EVERY time I started to slip into dreaming, all the sudden, my little orange birdy would begin Frantically Ringing her Ring-A-Bell. Frantically. The type of ring that means, "IF it wasn't nighttime I'd be screaming right now!"

Normally she does this only rarely at night. Maybe there's a sudden unexpected noise. Or, maybe she has a nightmare, who knows. I usually just awaken & say, "It's oookaayy, go back to sleep," sing the "I love you" song to her, and go back to sleep myself. Sometimes if she seems especially frantic, or the budgies upset too, I might open her cage, put my hand in for a while for her to lean against, before back to bed.

Well last night that seemed to work at first.

So i went back to sleep, just Started to Dream again.... and there's her frantic bell again.
"It's oo-kaayy, go to sleep, I love you Sunny..."

...and again...
....and, again...

several times before I realized the connection. Each time I started to Dream, there goes her bell!! How does she know? It's october now, is she possessed? hahah -- no, not my Sunny. Riker, or Keye or Patchouli? Maybe, but not my Sunny. Next theory?

Oh right. I have a cold. Well what happens with a cold? Your voice goes funny, and you sleep different... yep. Betcha I'm snoring.

Try turning the other side. Does that do it? Nope.

Well. What if I sleep in a half-sitting position? Probably better for me anyway. (Cold is less likely to establish in lungs that way.)

....and... yep. That's what it took, to get to sleep without my little bell-ringer waking me. Sleeping on side AND half-upright. Bit of a crick in my back this morning. Apparently that's what it takes for me to not-snore all night.

Since, it seems I have an alarm-bird who will Wake me whenever I snore!

Do your birds care if you snore?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I have to assume that I normally don't.

I have a cold right now. (Yes, I got tested - it's a cold, nothing more.) Following normal progression of a cold.

But I actually think i Might have not had any cold since getting my birdies, don't recall if I had a cold the first year, and then 2020 not going out anywhere never exposed, no annual cold last year...

So normal progression, first a sore throat, then nasal symptoms, then next (for me, with asthma) chest congestion.
Congestion is not too bad this time BUT i assume I must've started to snore.

Why? BECAUSE. Last night EVERY time I started to slip into dreaming, all the sudden, my little orange birdy would begin Frantically Ringing her Ring-A-Bell. Frantically. The type of ring that means, "IF it wasn't nighttime I'd be screaming right now!"

Normally she does this only rarely at night. Maybe there's a sudden unexpected noise. Or, maybe she has a nightmare, who knows. I usually just awaken & say, "It's oookaayy, go back to sleep," sing the "I love you" song to her, and go back to sleep myself. Sometimes if she seems especially frantic, or the budgies upset too, I might open her cage, put my hand in for a while for her to lean against, before back to bed.

Well last night that seemed to work at first.

So i went back to sleep, just Started to Dream again.... and there's her frantic bell again.
"It's oo-kaayy, go to sleep, I love you Sunny..."

...and again...
....and, again...

several times before I realized the connection. Each time I started to Dream, there goes her bell!! How does she know? It's october now, is she possessed? hahah -- no, not my Sunny. Riker, or Keye or Patchouli? Maybe, but not my Sunny. Next theory?

Oh right. I have a cold. Well what happens with a cold? Your voice goes funny, and you sleep different... yep. Betcha I'm snoring.

Try turning the other side. Does that do it? Nope.

Well. What if I sleep in a half-sitting position? Probably better for me anyway. (Cold is less likely to establish in lungs that way.)

....and... yep. That's what it took, to get to sleep without my little bell-ringer waking me. Sleeping on side AND half-upright. Bit of a crick in my back this morning. Apparently that's what it takes for me to not-snore all night.

Since, it seems I have an alarm-bird who will Wake me whenever I snore!

Do your birds care if you snore?
i rarley snore tbh
but whenever i do i wake up to tiki trying t mimic the voice lol

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
When I caught the cold few weeks ago I slept in the big room where the birds are, so my partner can sleep in peace as I tend to sniff and breathe deeply (like huffing) with some snoring. I might've also kept Pascal awake as he was GRINDING and CRUNCHING that beak in the night. And not in a cute way, it's like you give him something to crunch on, but he can to it with his beak only. I tend to snore especially when I have a congested nose (and with narrow airways it's no fun...). Then I switched rooms with my partner as my birds were extra cranky the next day. It did improve both of their moods hahah.

You did good to sleep in half sitting position and switch sides often, that's exactly what my doc suggests when we have an awful runny nose and when we start coughing. Also helps me with the throat in the morning, doesn't get nearly as inflamated.

Probably Sunny did try to tell you to stop snoring with his bell ringing. What a polite bird!
Also get better soon!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Jen....ya I used to snore...badly :confused: after loosing some weight it just went away, BUT during that time it was so bad that Smokey picked it up :oops: and she was good at it lol...Drove my mom bonkers lol.

Jim

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Oh my. So many times I have wished Sunny were just a little better at the talking business. I mean, given a clue or two I can interpret and understand her sounds - but - her range is quite limited. But hearing about snoring parrots -- well I guess I have a new reason to be Thankful for her limited vocal range! And, it is true, she is ever-so-polite when I'm sleeping. Even when she decides to wake me up, she does it politely!

Most Reactions

Latest posts