Do you use 2 kinds of pellets?

Blueu85

Apr 27, 2022
United States
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi all. Long time reader and first time poster. I have a cockatiel and he eats Harrison's bird food for sure. He completely ignores Roudybush, so I gave up on that. But now I'm trying him on TOPs. So far he chews them but I don't think he eats them bc when I weigh him at the end of the day, it's obvious he didn't eat (losses weight).

My question is, should I keep trying to give him 2 brands of pellets or just call it quits? What do you use? I know there are benefits of having 2 kinds of pellets. But it's so difficult!
He does get a little bit of seeds in his diet, fresh veggies. Nuts and millet for treats.

Pic of Griffin for tax. Thanks in advance and Happy weekend everyone!

Attachments

• 20220520_075604.jpg
    20220520_075604.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 27

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I would strongly recommend that you only weigh your Parrot first thing in the morning, prior to first meal and after first moment! That assures the best most consistent weight. Any other time, and you will see variations, both up and down! If you are not keeping a log of the weight, please start as it is useful.

Why are you using two Pellets? I can understand the idea of having a back-up as supply can and will be an issue. One of the problems of providing two different Pellets from different suppliers is the on-going issue of over-supplementing the diet. If you are providing only Pellets, consider adding fresh foods with veggies and a small amount of fruits. NOTE: A high-quality seed mix with grains and tree based nuts can also be added.

OP
Blueu85

Blueu85

Apr 27, 2022
United States
Parrots
Cockatiel
I would strongly recommend that you only weigh your Parrot first thing in the morning, prior to first meal and after first moment! That assures the best most consistent weight. Any other time, and you will see variations, both up and down! If you are not keeping a log of the weight, please start as it is useful.

Why are you using two Pellets? I can understand the idea of having a back-up as supply can and will be an issue. One of the problems of providing two different Pellets from different suppliers is the on-going issue of over-supplementing the diet. If you are providing only Pellets, consider adding fresh foods with veggies and a small amount of fruits. NOTE: A high-quality seed mix with grains and tree based nuts can also be added.
I want 2 kinds in case of supply issues.
I do keep a log & weigh him daily early in the morning before meals, that's how I know he doesn't touch his food. I can also tell by weighing the food and the bird if they ate, plus the change in color of droppings. Turns dark green vs his usual brown dropping. He does have seeds in his diet and fresh veggies in the morning, seasonal fruits and nuts/millet for treats. My only concern is if I should keep trying to give him a second brand. He's otherwise healthy and thriving.
He just refuses to eat a second brand of pellets haha 😂 thank you! 😁

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you for your Post!

Making pellets tiny is common with near all Parrots and what you find as crumbs, that is part of that process. And just to add confusion, they do eat a bit of it.

The telltale is a weight loss that shows-up day after day after day as overall weigh falls a bit over several days! If you switch back and the gain is the same, stepping upwards, clearly he is not eating it.

TOPS would be my recommended second choice.

Regarding supply issues, remember that your freezer is your friend as a tool to having additional capacity. We placed the sealed bag in a Ziplock bag as to provide a double bagging.

Most Reactions

Latest posts