does anyone else have a band like this

animallovinmom

Oct 23, 2012
I was wondering if anyone else has a band on their Zon like this ? ......I know that bands can mean anything and its up to the breeder to put what they want on them for their personal record uses ect. but I also did some research and this could also mean he is wild caught before 1992 I understand that I will proabably truly never know his age or his history but if anyone has ever seen a band like this it would be helpful :) also it is an OPEN band although you cant tell from the picture it has 3 letters FVK and 3 numbers 784

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 250

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
If it is a quarantine band it should have USDA on it. Are you in the US?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Probably an import band.

Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - The ABC's Of Leg Bands - Identifying Birds

F indicates Florida, V would be the quarantine station (not necessarily in Florida) and K being part of your zons ID?

https://companionparrotonline.com/Morgana.html

Best way to find out is to see if you can find out if that quarantine station still exists, and if they have kept any records. Try contacting Florida's Agriculture, Fish & Wildlife services for information! And possibly same in Virginia?

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
FVK can be the bird organization to.
We are using that stainless steel rings here in Scandinavia to and here the first letter stands for the organization.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Could be the breeders initials + number.
I always use my initials + number or year on my leg bands.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
To answer your question, yes i have several amazons with USDA quarantine bands. Some are breeder birds ,some are pets and some are rescues/rehomes, but all of mine have USDA on the band. You won't find much help from the USDA/FWS when researching your band's number, but your welcome to try and learn how frustrating that can be. In the late 70's / early 80's was when we first had to endure quarantine and from then til the early 90's is when those type of bands where used. I'd age your bird between 20 and forty something yrs old. In reality middle aged. Up until '80 or'81 i was able to import pets with a vet's certificate and no quarantine, but after that i don't think it was possible, at least for me, I was over the limit, LOL.

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am not that knowledgable on bands, but I do know open bands are typically put on mature birds vs. Juveniles (they can't fit a closed band on a full grown parrot). I also know my moms one amazon (who she got in the 70s) was wild caught, and had a plastic quarantine band when she first got her. She cut the band off, but saved it, and several years ago, we looked it up online and were able to trace her back to the California quarantine station she came into the country through. It only took a few minutes of searching to find it. Any government issued quarantine band will still be in the system and easily traceable, but a breeder band most likely won't. Also, we still will never learn her actual age, she was a sexually mature bird when she was caught (my mom bought her to save her from becoming a breeder bird). Just because she was legally imported doesn't mean her age was ever known. There really aren't regulations on breeder bands, and no reliable system to track them by. Even if he was a wild caught bird, he has obviously been living in a domestic environment for many years, and needs your love and care. He looks like a handsome little guy, best of luck with him :)

Most Reactions