Does it always have to be organic? 🫠

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Hello Parrot Peeps,

After unpacking groceries today, I noticed that I was accidentally given Romaine lettuce, collard greens, and bell peppers that are NOT organic 😲 I put Romaine in Cozy’s chop everyday and was hoping to introduce some collards and peppers this week. Is it ok to serve your baby non-organic veg every once in a while? I mean, I’ll eat the stuff no problem, but I know they are much more sensitive to things than we humans are. And heck, a few decades ago, organic wasn’t even a thing. But I’m overly cautious…and rambling….

Lastly, what do we think of radish leaves/greens? The radishes I purchased are organic. Can birbs eat the leaves?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think everyone can eat the leaves! They’re good in salad (for people).

I know I’ve read online lists of which foods are most important to buy organic. I bet you could find that. Some foods are more heavily treated with pesticides in order to grow without insect chew-holes. And some produce you should wash or peel easily and they’ll be ok.

I have been eating a lot better in the last year or so because of the extra covid food stamps. But soon I will likely need to go to a pantry for assistance as I am also gluten intolerant and get migraines from preservatives. Cheaper food has more chemicals.

I got a raised bed garden this year so I can continue gardening and I will put in the foods that my birds like to eat often. They ate a lot of cherry tomatoes and little peppers. In fact I just realized that I have cherry tomatoes in the freezer. They’re not as tasty as fresh but the birds still eat them, especially if I cut the thawed tomato in half so they can see the seeds.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello Parrot Peeps,

After unpacking groceries today, I noticed that I was accidentally given Romaine lettuce, collard greens, and bell peppers that are NOT organic 😲 I put Romaine in Cozy’s chop everyday and was hoping to introduce some collards and peppers this week. Is it ok to serve your baby non-organic veg every once in a while? I mean, I’ll eat the stuff no problem, but I know they are much more sensitive to things than we humans are. And heck, a few decades ago, organic wasn’t even a thing. But I’m overly cautious…and rambling….
I'm sure it won't kill her, just make sure to wash it really well, even with organic stuff.
Lastly, what do we think of radish leaves/greens? The radishes I purchased are organic. Can birbs eat the leaves?
I think it's safe! I looked it up online and according to some bird forums and websites it's safe.

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
I think everyone can eat the leaves! They’re good in salad (for people).

I know I’ve read online lists of which foods are most important to buy organic. I bet you could find that. Some foods are more heavily treated with pesticides in order to grow without insect chew-holes. And some produce you should wash or peel easily and they’ll be ok.

I have been eating a lot better in the last year or so because of the extra covid food stamps. But soon I will likely need to go to a pantry for assistance as I am also gluten intolerant and get migraines from preservatives. Cheaper food has more chemicals.

I got a raised bed garden this year so I can continue gardening and I will put in the foods that my birds like to eat often. They ate a lot of cherry tomatoes and little peppers. In fact I just realized that I have cherry tomatoes in the freezer. They’re not as tasty as fresh but the birds still eat them, especially if I cut the thawed tomato in half so they can see the seeds.
Thanks for the tip HeatherG! I wish I could grow my own veggies. I live in a second floor apartment and have no access to a private outdoor space for a garden. Maybe someday though! I’m glad you can grow some of your own stuff. I hear gardening can be very therapeutic.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thanks for the tip HeatherG! I wish I could grow my own veggies. I live in a second floor apartment and have no access to a private outdoor space for a garden. Maybe someday though! I’m glad you can grow some of your own stuff. I hear gardening can be very therapeutic.
I’m in a 5 th floor apartment. I bought these things called garden boxes to use in the backyard and found a small area garden. Most of what I grew in those containers was for the birds.

Here’s an Eating Well guide to the 12 most important produce items to buy organic

What are they? They’re the produce most contaminated by pesticides. Spinach, strawberries, greens (kale, collard, mustard), nectarines, apples, grapes, cherries, peaches, pears, peppers, celery.

Some of these are the things I grew in my garden boxes. I think washing or peeling these items helps.

I’ve also read that meat, milk, eggs, dairy are important to buy organic as pesticides are stored in fat. And lots of antibiotics are used just to fatten up animals faster.

You can find more thorough lists online if you want.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
WebMd says: Organic items worth buying if money is no object: Asparagus, avocados, bananas, bread, broccoli, cauliflower, cereals, sweet corn, kiwi, mangos, oils, onions, papaya, pasta, pineapples, potato chips, and sweet peas. Also included are packaged products such as canned vegetables and dried fruit.

Organic items worth buying as often as possible: Apples, baby food, bell peppers, celery, cherries, dairy, eggs, imported grapes, meat, nectarines, peaches, pears, poultry, potatoes, red raspberries, spinach, and strawberries.

Last edited:
OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
WebMd says: Organic items worth buying if money is no object: Asparagus, avocados, bananas, bread, broccoli, cauliflower, cereals, sweet corn, kiwi, mangos, oils, onions, papaya, pasta, pineapples, potato chips, and sweet peas. Also included are packaged products such as canned vegetables and dried fruit.

Organic items worth buying as often as possible: Apples, baby food, bell peppers, celery, cherries, dairy, eggs, imported grapes, meat, nectarines, peaches, pears, poultry, potatoes, red raspberries, spinach, and strawberries.
Thanks for all of the great info HeatherG!

Most Reactions

Latest posts