Don't have a bird yet, thought it is is a good time to get info!

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
Hi everyone in the forum! I don't have a bird yet. I'm planning to get a bird this November or so. I used to read many threads on the forum and since I knew that the forum is the best way to get info, I joined. Pls give all info because I am novice and I live in an apartment. I want info on GCC because that's the bird I wanna get. I have lots of time because I only go to school(online school) I am 11 yrs. I have no other activities. Pls give all advice you can. Thanks!

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Hi everyone in the forum! I don't have a bird yet. I'm planning to get a bird this November or so. I used to read many threads on the forum and since I knew that the forum is the best way to get info, I joined. Pls give all info because I am novice and I live in an apartment. I want info on GCC because that's the bird I wanna get. I have lots of time because I only go to school(online school) I am 11 yrs. I have no other activities. Pls give all advice you can. Thanks!
my biggist advice: u cant chose a bird and make the ird suit you you have to get a bird that suits your life style there is no such thing as ''biggener bird''

Mod Edit: The following is an excerpt from an article on the "Bird Eden" website:

This type of parrot is a very social bird, and extremely fun to be around with, since they do well in an environment that calls for constant attention and grouping.

• Although vocabulary is limited, they do have some words that they can recall and repeat if heard on a regular basis.
  • They’re smart birds that are very playful in nature.
  • They can bite those who try to touch them, but this happens mostly when they’re young. Overtime this can cease completely once they grow up.
  • Tricks are their forte, where they’ll perform many of these on several occasions.
  • They aren’t as loud as other kinds of conure
  • If a green cheek conure is kept confined only to his/her cage, they can turn aggressive and start mutilating themselves, changing their moods if not comfortable with their surroundings. It is important to provide it a well spaced out cage that gives it ample room to fly around and stretch in. Toys are another important addition to the cage. Provide hanging bars, and little parrot knick knacks that he/she will enjoy passing their time with.

Let it out of the cage once in a while, but make sure that all windows are closed and fans that are on, are immediately switched off. It is imperative to feed your parrot the right kind of food, and provide for it nutrients that it needs on an everyday basis. Without the appropriate supply of these foods, it changes its behavioral traits, where the wrong eatables can truly hamper its health in the long run.

They can live up to 25 years at a stretch, but can come down drastically if not taken care of in the right manner. Make sure cages have bars that aren’t widely spaced for the parrot to stick its head out of, since this can in the long haul prove to be injurious to their tiny heads.
  • s, so keeping them indoors won’t be all that bad.
  • Do not feed your green conure food that can alter its health state, since the wrong kinds can seriously damage their systems. Eliminate pellets that are coated in a colored sugar encasing, since these can lead to a serious sugar overload, that isn’t right for a parrot’s diet. It is important to take your parrot to a veterinarian every now and then to have it checked out for any illnesses and problems.

Be careful what you spray around your home, since these birds are sensitive to strong aromas and aerosol sprays. Cookware cleaning ovens that are non-stick in nature can also prove to be deadly to a bird, so make sure none of this is present in the parrot’s zone. Be careful about what it chews, since when it is released out of its cage, he/she can find random things to pick at and possibly swallow/choke on. Provide toys like bird kabobs, hanging apparatuses, swings and soft wood chew toys, for its entertainment.
    Do not feed your green conure food that can alter its health state, since the wrong kinds can seriously damage their systems. Eliminate pellets that are coated in a colored sugar encasing, since these can lead to a serious sugar overload, that isn’t right for a parrot’s diet. It is important to take your parrot to a veterinarian every now and then to have it checked out for any illnesses and problems.

Be careful what you spray around your home, since these birds are sensitive to strong aromas and aerosol sprays. Cookware cleaning ovens that are non-stick in nature can also prove to be deadly to a bird, so make sure none of this is present in the parrot’s zone. Be careful about what it chews, since when it is released out of its cage, he/she can find random things to pick at and possibly swallow/choke on. Provide toys like bird kabobs, hanging apparatuses, swings and soft wood chew toys, for its entertainment.

These parrots like to whistle, so encourage them to do so by playing a CD that has whistling on it. They need bathing every once and a while, so make sure you keep a nice big bowl full of water for it to clean itself in, and change it every now and then once the parrot’s done. Keep it constantly interacting with either yourself or a second parrot, since they get easily bored, and moody if not kept busy.

As for the diet, it is important to understand that not all foods are safe for your bird to munch on. So here’s a list of safe foods that you can cut up and store, for your parrot.
    • Dandelions
    • Apples (seedless)
    • Sweet potato
    • Carrots
    • Broccoli
    • Kale
    • Grapes (seedless)
    • Peas
    • Corn kernels
    • Spinach
      A green cheek conure is a nice bird to have around the house, that is both sociable and loving as a pet. So before you get this guy, make sure you do ample research about care tips and guidelines, so that you know what you’re getting yourself into.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
my biggist advice: u cant chose a bird and make the ird suit you you have to get a bird that suits your life style there is no such thing as ''biggener bird''
This type of parrot is a very social bird, and extremely fun to be around with, since they do well in an environment that calls for constant attention and grouping.

• Although vocabulary is limited, they do have some words that they can recall and repeat if heard on a regular basis.
  • They’re smart birds that are very playful in nature.
  • They can bite those who try to touch them, but this happens mostly when they’re young. Overtime this can cease completely once they grow up.
  • Tricks are their forte, where they’ll perform many of these on several occasions.
  • They aren’t as loud as other kinds of conure
  • If a green cheek conure is kept confined only to his/her cage, they can turn aggressive and start mutilating themselves, changing their moods if not comfortable with their surroundings. It is important to provide it a well spaced out cage that gives it ample room to fly around and stretch in. Toys are another important addition to the cage. Provide hanging bars, and little parrot knick knacks that he/she will enjoy passing their time with.

Let it out of the cage once in a while, but make sure that all windows are closed and fans that are on, are immediately switched off. It is imperative to feed your parrot the right kind of food, and provide for it nutrients that it needs on an everyday basis. Without the appropriate supply of these foods, it changes its behavioral traits, where the wrong eatables can truly hamper its health in the long run.

They can live up to 25 years at a stretch, but can come down drastically if not taken care of in the right manner. Make sure cages have bars that aren’t widely spaced for the parrot to stick its head out of, since this can in the long haul prove to be injurious to their tiny heads.
  • s, so keeping them indoors won’t be all that bad.
  • Do not feed your green conure food that can alter its health state, since the wrong kinds can seriously damage their systems. Eliminate pellets that are coated in a colored sugar encasing, since these can lead to a serious sugar overload, that isn’t right for a parrot’s diet. It is important to take your parrot to a veterinarian every now and then to have it checked out for any illnesses and problems.

Do not feed your green conure food that can alter its health state, since the wrong kinds can seriously damage their systems. Eliminate pellets that are coated in a colored sugar encasing, since these can lead to a serious sugar overload, that isn’t right for a parrot’s diet. It is important to take your parrot to a veterinarian every now and then to have it checked out for any illnesses and problems.

These parrots like to whistle, so encourage them to do so by playing a CD that has whistling on it. They need bathing every once and a while, so make sure you keep a nice big bowl full of water for it to clean itself in, and change it every now and then once the parrot’s done. Keep it constantly interacting with either yourself or a second parrot, since they get easily bored, and moody if not kept busy.

As for the diet, it is important to understand that not all foods are safe for your bird to munch on. So here’s a list of safe foods that you can cut up and store, for your parrot.
    • Dandelions
    • Apples (seedless)
    • Sweet potato
    • Carrots
    • Broccoli
    • Kale
    • Grapes (seedless)
    • Peas
    • Corn kernels
    • Spinach
      A green cheek conure is a nice bird to have around the house, that is both sociable and loving as a pet. So before you get this guy, make sure you do ample research about care tips and guidelines, so that you know what you’re getting yourself into.
Thanks a lot TikiTiel!

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
And could you pls give me tips on how to bathe a bird?
just spray them from far away so only the mist is touching the bird and let the bird enjoy it dont force it to like it or offer them a bowl some birds (like my tiel ) absoultly hates bathing so dont force bathing you can train a bird to enjoy it but its up to you (dont use ANY shampoos even if says its for birds)

OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
just spray them from far away so only the mist is touching the bird and let the bird enjoy it dont force it to like it or offer them a bowl some birds (like my tiel ) absoultly hates bathing so dont force bathing you can train a bird to enjoy it but its up to you (dont use ANY shampoos even if says its for birds)
Oh OK great and how often should I bathe my bird?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
And another question is, in what ways can I spend time with a bird bc I have LOTS of time to dedicate.
trick trainig is a fun way to interact with a bird just make sure it doesnt go over 15 mins the first training session should be 3-5 mins long
playing
i play hide and seek with my birds
so what i do is i put them on the ground and go hide and call thier names and peek my head through my hiding spot and when they find me i reward them and oraise them its very fun for you and the bird

OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
trick trainig is a fun way to interact with a bird just make sure it doesnt go over 15 mins the first training session should be 3-5 mins long
playing
i play hide and seek with my birds
so what i do is i put them on the ground and go hide and call thier names and peek my head through my hiding spot and when they find me i reward them and oraise them its very fun for you and the bird
Oh, I am in love with the hide & seek idea! And, of course I will buy a majority of toys for my bird but can I also include a few DIYs to atleast make the costs less?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Oh OK great and how often should I bathe my bird?
btw the info have been copied from a website just make sure to do tons of resaerch
Oh, I am in love with the hide & seek idea! And, of course I will buy a majority of toys for my bird but can I also include a few DIYs to atleast make the costs less?
there are ton of diy toy ideas online

OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
btw the info have been copied from a website just make sure to do tons of resaerch

there are ton of diy toy ideas online
Yes I actually made a lot of DIYs, I'm thinking to put my DIYs on a playstand, and the toys my parents buy I will put in the cage, do you think this is a good idea?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Yes I actually made a lot of DIYs, I'm thinking to put my DIYs on a playstand, and the toys my parents buy I will put in the cage, do you think this is a good idea?
i would split it half and half make sure the toys are safe no dyed paper no hot glue or any glue etc

OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
i would get a bunch maybe 3-5 so that you can switch alot if you keep the same set up the bird will get bored
Yes I will. And could you give me advice on what to do when I get the bird home, the first few days so that I can take it form a bond with it?

OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
btw what are the cage size? i recomend a 30x30x30 a square cage is better in my opnion as long as the bird has space to fly
I don't know about cages yet........ I mean I have to check a good place for cages but I will keep the size in mind thanks

Most Reactions