Door safety with flighted bird

Ezekiell

Jan 31, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Māui (white bellied caique)
Māui took his very first purposeful ‘little flight’ yesterday off the 3rd staircase step to try to get to me. He has grown in one new flight feather in the middle of the wing, so this is helping give him a bit more lift with his old ratty 1st and 2nd flights.

I’m so excited but also now worried about keeping him safe with people coming in and out the doors. He lives in the main room downstairs so anyone coming in through the front or back door is an open invitation for him to fly out if scared before the door gets shut behind the person (house rule: shut external doors behind you!).

How does everyone reduce escape risk through external doors?
I’m currently thinking of getting two sets of rose magnetic fly screens and hanging them at the front and back door as an extra barrier when someone goes in/out, but I’m open to any other less annoying solutions.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
The magnetic flyscreen idea is a good one, i might look into those myself! Our house has sliding doors that we can use to virtually compartmentalise the whole house, this was actually one of the main selling points of this house for us, to help keep our birds safe. I’ve also hung some light Japanese style noren curtains in the doorways to at least *try* to slow Lilly down and it’s saved her life probably more than once! The curtains are enough to keep Fang and Val out of the kitchen and don’t stop the breeze circulating through the house in the Brisbane summer. They’re also enough to deter Lilly from entering the kitchen most of the time and when they don’t it gives me a few seconds to catch up with her and grab her - she’s like a little green tracer bullet she’s so fast!

Any visitors to our house always use the back door, as far away from the birds as possible. In fact the only time one of my birds has ever got out was ages ago and it was my fault. I was taking out some trash and my then cockatiel Kang was sitting on my shoulder and she was so quiet i forgot she was there. Fortunately I got her back but not before she’d had a close shave with a butcherbird!

It’s very exciting when your birdie grows his wings back and gradually discovers the joy of flight. More importantly though is learning to stick the landings, they are far more confident in the air if they know to land and where the safe landing spots are. And there’s nothing nicer than when your bird flies over to you because he’d rather be there than anywhere else :)

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
If you are able to weld up a frame, make a double set of doors with a 1-2m distance between each, then fix it over your original door so you have to pass through 1 door to get to the door of the house
My big aviary has that, and i tell you what, its a life saver
Thanks
Noah Till

OP
Ezekiell

Ezekiell

Jan 31, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
If you are able to weld up a frame, make a double set of doors with a 1-2m distance between each, then fix it over your original door so you have to pass through 1 door to get to the door of the house
My big aviary has that, and i tell you what, its a life saver
Thanks
Noah Till

I actually can’t do that. I live in a townhouse so the front door goes straight out to the front and straight into the main living area. The back door is sliding and goes straight out onto a very small patio area.

My only options are something to hang just outside the sliding back door and something in-between the front screen door and the main wood door. A magnetic screen would work for either door but I also have to consider the ease of getting in and out (i don’t want to get tangled in the door!). Hence why I’m looking for any other creative ideas so I can implement before Māui has enough flights to start really zooming around the house.

OP
Ezekiell

Ezekiell

Jan 31, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
The magnetic flyscreen idea is a good one, i might look into those myself! Our house has sliding doors that we can use to virtually compartmentalise the whole house, this was actually one of the main selling points of this house for us, to help keep our birds safe. I’ve also hung some light Japanese style noren curtains in the doorways to at least *try* to slow Lilly down and it’s saved her life probably more than once! The curtains are enough to keep Fang and Val out of the kitchen and don’t stop the breeze circulating through the house in the Brisbane summer. They’re also enough to deter Lilly from entering the kitchen most of the time and when they don’t it gives me a few seconds to catch up with her and grab her - she’s like a little green tracer bullet she’s so fast!

Any visitors to our house always use the back door, as far away from the birds as possible. In fact the only time one of my birds has ever got out was ages ago and it was my fault. I was taking out some trash and my then cockatiel Kang was sitting on my shoulder and she was so quiet i forgot she was there. Fortunately I got her back but not before she’d had a close shave with a butcherbird!

It’s very exciting when your birdie grows his wings back and gradually discovers the joy of flight. More importantly though is learning to stick the landings, they are far more confident in the air if they know to land and where the safe landing spots are. And there’s nothing nicer than when your bird flies over to you because he’d rather be there than anywhere else :)

I had to look up what a noren curtain was. I actually like the idea of it, especially if I can find a string version as that would be a lot easier for the front door area whilst still being a deterrant.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
You can get those 1970's style bamboo curtain thingies that fix to the door frame in a similar way to the magnetic screens, and the rattly bamboo bits may be just enough to put Māui off going anywhere near them. Of course the rattly bamboo might just drive you a little bit nuts too...

Meanwhile I just bought 2 of those magnetic screen thingies, they look pretty good!

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
In my house, if alone and I take JoJo out, I lock all doors first!
If there are others in the house, I make sure I have a verbal reply acknowledging JoJo is coming out!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The magnetic flyscreen is a great solution as the upper two thirds close fairly quickly after one enters or leaves.

The color shift is just enough for a Parrot to question where it is solid or not. If your Parrot question whether it is solid, one could add some string art (possible fishing line?) to enhance its appearance of being solid.

Most Reactions