Dora... the Explorer?

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Dora - Green-rumped parrotlet ♀
Exciting news! :D Today I brought my 9 week old green rumped parrotlet home and have decided to name her Dora. At the moment, she is in the top corner of her cage and she made a small sweet sound whilst I "sang" along to music. Sorry Dora. From now onwards, this is where I'll be posting our updates - a dedicated thread! <3

Whilst visiting the breeder this afternoon, they suggested purchasing a cosy tent/hanging some fleece blanket for her to nestle in and placing a towel over her cage, leaving the front uncovered. This confused me since, what I have researched has told me otherwise? My initial plan upon arriving home, was to give her some time to adjust to her new surroundings. However, the breeder recommended taking her out for kisses, scritches etc... conflicting me further LOL! Currently her diet is pulse, egg stuff:)confused:), seeds, pellets and fresh fruit/vegetables. I'm not sure what brand since it came in clear bags. I'm waiting for the TOPS pellets I ordered to arrive.

*insert parrotlet emoji* ;)

P.S. I posted this in the wrong forum... oops

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Doraaaaaaa! Welcome home! [emoji170][emoji170]

You will be posting pictures soon, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Oh and no to the cozy hut. You are correct.

As for taking her out, she’s very young and if she’s tame it’s probably all right for her to come out today. I waited 24 hours with Bumble but maybe didn’t need to. She was used to being handled and loved so she was fine. [emoji3][emoji3]

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
I'll share some photo's tomorrow! She seems content, chirping away and exploring her cage. She's even been eating her food. Following me around the room(from within her cage). Two days worth of pulses are soaking in the kitchen. I hope I remembered their instructions correctly lol! They mentioned a sieve? My memory perhaps? I'll steer clear of the cosy hut! I'll try handling her tomorrow - I did briefly when putting her in the cage. I don't want to frighten her, I imagine it has been a stressful day for her.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
I hope she brings you even half the joy I get from Bumble!

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Photos!!!

2DUYM

https://imgur.com/a/2DUYM
Yesterday evening, Dora was super chirpy flying around her cage and eating food. I'm a little concerned because I haven't seen her at the water bowl yet. I've included a couple of photo's taken this morning below. I apologise about the quality... I don't have a steady hand and I didn't want to scare her with the phone :eek::eek: She seems to have taken to the perch at the front of her cage whereas last night she was on the toy at the back.

pTzqN
https://imgur.com/a/pTzqN

xiC5c

https://imgur.com/a/xiC5c

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Congratulations on the latest member of your household! Looks like she's settling in rather nicely.

I concur about the cozy hut and any such tent-like additions. Some birds never have an issue, but some develop aggressive behaviors and others yet have been injured, crippled, or even killed by the fraying fibers as they bite into them. I don't see them being worth the risk, and your bird won't miss what she's never had.

Looking forward to hearing how your first full out interaction with her goes.

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Another photo

BVP6C
https://imgur.com/a/BVP6C
Another photo!

Here's another photo of Dora enjoying her food! I've added grapes, strawberries and a tiny amount of satsuma. When changing her food this morning, a lot of the fruit appeared untouched. She loves her pulses and millet. I've been chatting to her throughout the day and had the usual music playing(something I've always done). I'm still grateful for any advice/input from all of you and glad to have found this community. Compared to yesterday evening, she seems to have regressed? She hasn't been as vocal or active.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Awwww she’s darling! I have a picture of Bumble sitting in the food dish the day she arrived too [emoji2][emoji2]

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Congratulations on the latest member of your household! Looks like she's settling in rather nicely.

I concur about the cozy hut and any such tent-like additions. Some birds never have an issue, but some develop aggressive behaviors and others yet have been injured, crippled, or even killed by the fraying fibers as they bite into them. I don't see them being worth the risk, and your bird won't miss what she's never had.

Looking forward to hearing how your first full out interaction with her goes.

Thank you!! I think she is... although, I do have an excitable toddler lol. We did pretend with a toy budgie we had beforehand, which was fun. It is taking some time but that is expected. Also, she was separated from her two sisters :15: Today some more items arrived for her, good riddance dowel perches!(I'm thinking of keeping one for training). I've been contemplating decreasing the amount of seeds in her daily dish and using them as a treat. She lovessss millet.
The morning after she flew to meet me when I opened her cage door but unfortunately I spooked her by trying to get her to step up. My mistake! Since then, I've been coming to the cage door intermittently, with a treat in hand. She is still chirpy. I've been babbling away to her too.

@Inger I saw it - I adore her thread and have subscribed. The bowl devours THEM LOL.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
@Inger I saw it - I adore her thread and have subscribed. The bowl devours THEM LOL.

Haha right? They're SO TINY. And thanks for your kind words about her thread. It's no Rickeybird Scrapbook or Nigel the Great . . . but it's fun for me to keep track of when things happen, if nothing else. :05:

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots

Haha right? They're SO TINY. And thanks for your kind words about her thread. It's no Rickeybird Scrapbook or Nigel the Great . . . but it's fun for me to keep track of when things happen, if nothing else. :05:

I think I have subscribed to any birdy threads I've seen LOL. I liked the idea too hence "Dora... the Explorer?". It's nice to keep track of your journey together. P.S. I don't have an Instagram but I've checked and will continue to check Bumbles. She's famous! :D

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots

I think I have subscribed to any birdy threads I've seen LOL. I liked the idea too hence "Dora... the Explorer?". It's nice to keep track of your journey together. P.S. I don't have an Instagram but I've checked and will continue to check Bumbles. She's famous! :D

Haha not exactly, but she does have a loyal following [emoji2][emoji2]

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Update

It's been a couple of days since I shared anything about little Dora. She's still settling in. HOORAY! I've witnessed her drinking multiple times - this was something that worried me. Tom(my toddler) is fascinated by her presence... Me too lol! I've read how they create a grinding sound with their beak when they're content and Dora does that frequently... especially before bed time. She LOVES her food and has been accepting bits offered through the cage. Today she tried a few edamame beans. I won't put my hands in her cage unless I'm cleaning her toys(trying! that poop is tough) or putting something new in. Occasionally leaving the cage door open. I don't think I have seen her play yet? I've been inspecting her toys, hoping she has whilst I have been away :eek:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
a-DORA-ble! love the picture of her in her bowl lol.

Inger has quite the remarkable little girl with Bumble..such a tiny little thing and so smart,then add a truckload of CUTENESS and there's Bum :D

When I took Beeb's home from the breeder he was already quite tame. He picked me,and was the most outgoing from his three other siblings,running right up my arm to my shoulder.
When we got home,after I finished setting up his house,I opened his little take-me-home box,and he came right out,junped on my hand,ran up my arm to my shoulder and that was it lol..He eagerly jumped on my hand/fingers when I opened his front door to come out.

Sounds like your Dora is going to be easy to train and is settling in nicely.
More pictures please!

Jim

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
*Thank you for sharing that story!* It made me smile. Giggled at a-Dora-ble - how did I not think of that LOL!! I'll definitely get another photo and share it some time today. I plan to leave the cage door open whilst Tom is at nursery.
This morning Dora met me at her food bowl, it's one of the first things I sort when waking. Thinking about it... I did wake a little later today. Although... she didn't move from her bowl when I tried removing it. I assumed she would. I slowly lifted her to the nearest perch and she happily clambered on. I love her!

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Taken today!

IOZ0h

https://imgur.com/a/IOZ0h

The mark on her beak is strawberry lol!! She is soooo chirpy! I wish I could understand what she is tweeting :)

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
She’s precious! I take it she isn’t tame? Bumble’s breeder did a fantastic job preparing her for life; I’m beginning to realize that isn’t always the case.

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LYaLwR8XzfTidFCNVV3AEqwoJxn8EAnx/view?usp=sharing
Here's a clip of Dora!

@Inger Unfortunately, it isn't. Dora's breeder led me to believe she was but I began doubting them when I went to collect her. It's conflicting. Dora and her sisters were huddled in the top corner, behind a snuggle tent and covered with a towel. The breeder chased them around the cage, the first they caught was quite nippy - I doubt I would react positively to a giant hand trying to grab me.

tanyamitchellrn

Nov 17, 2017
Northwest Illinois
Parrots
Kaya Cockatoo, EJ Amazon, Pepper African Grey, Casey IRN, Glen Sun Conure
Oh and no to the cozy hut. You are correct.

As for taking her out, she’s very young and if she’s tame it’s probably all right for her to come out today. I waited 24 hours with Bumble but maybe didn’t need to. She was used to being handled and loved so she was fine. [emoji3][emoji3]

I agree! No cozy hut. You don’t want them to think they can hide. I took a large handkerchief and tied it to a corner on 3 sides. This way he could nestle into something, yet not be concealed. My parrotlet is now 7 months old and he still enjoys standing in it and loves finding millet hiding in it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts