Double Newbie

Troy

Jul 26, 2006
Nebraska
Parrots
Eclectus
My name is Troy (username threw you off right) and on Sunday the 23rd I become host to a 3-year-old Eclectus by the name of Fred. Now for the story of Fred and how we ended up with each other. A friend of a friend who after two years with him got deployed over seas originally owned Fred. Fred then ended up with a friend of mine who after a year with the little guy was given a choice either Fred went or his girlfriend did. I did let him know if he finally wised up and dumped her he could have Fred back.

Now after spending quite a few weekends this summer with Fred down at my cabin at the lake, I was pretty well sold on getting a parrot for myself. When last Friday I got a call and was asked if I would take Fred. Well of course I said yes as he was the reason I wanted to get a parrot in the first place and been doing some reading on different species. Fred is a gentle fellow as anyone can handle him without fear of being bit, although my niece found out yesterday wearing earring while he is on your shoulder doesn’t work out to well.

Fred has been doing some strange things that I’m not quite sure what they mean. On occasion while he is running around on my arms he will drop to his belly on my hands and shake his bottom around. Another little thing he does is he will regurgitate while I’m holding him, but nobody else. When I called my friend he said Fred did neither of those while he had him. Fred also has the habit of feather picking for about 2 years, although he doesn’t seem to be picking while he has been here. Any help, advice, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• fred small.jpg
    fred small.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 199

bill

Jul 2, 2006
victoria,Australia
Parrots
lorikeets and gc conures
Hi Troy. To sum it up mate I think fred is in love with you. The squating down and tail wagging motion sounds like masturbation and the regurgatation is him feeding you as mated pairs would do.But in saying all this a quick trip to the birdie vet would be a good idea ok. hope this helps a bit ok.:)

OP
Troy

Troy

Jul 26, 2006
Nebraska
Parrots
Eclectus
Hey Bill,

Thanks for the information, I guess that would explain the feeling of being violated after he did that came from, and the whole wolf whistle at me while I’m taking a shower. ;) I’m going to try and track down a vet tomorrow when I get a chance at work, although I’ve heard we don’t have an avian vet for 200 miles still going to find one and make an appointment as Fred needs his feathers trimmed he keeps flying off his cage to me.

bill

Jul 2, 2006
victoria,Australia
Parrots
lorikeets and gc conures
no worrys Troy. My lorikeet hen does basicly the same thing to me. Not as big of a problem for cock birds as it is for hens.Hens can produce to many eggs and if there is not enough calcium in their diet it can be fatal. But discourage the behaviour never the less anyway. good luck.:D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
buccwelcome1.gif

Hi there Troy & Fred. Oh Fred is definately in love. I would definately discourage this behaviour and as Bill said a quick trip to an avian vet would be a good idea, better safe than sorry.

Fred is certainly a lovely looking fella, I'm sure you two are going to be having some wonderful times ahead and we look forward to sharing these with you.

Welcome to the forum, have fun, enjoy and post lots of pics. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts