Doxycycline dosage for birds

swong66666

May 25, 2022
Parrots
None yet.
Can anyone here please tell me the doxycycline (liquid) proper dosage for birds? I understand the dosage is based on the birds weight, but what is the correct dosage based on weight? And also how often it should be given to birds?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Can anyone here please tell me the doxycycline (liquid) proper dosage for birds? I understand the dosage is based on the birds weight, but what is the correct dosage based on weight? And also how often it should be given to birds?
Is your bird ill? If not don't give it. A vet will be able to tell you the proper dosage.

Birds, like humans, can form resistance towards antibiotics over time. So just like humans, they should only get it when ill with bacteria.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
It depends on the species you are treating, what you are treating for, and your delivery method, in addition to the weight of the bird. I have only ever seen over the counter farm product dosages recommended for chickens or non-psittacine birds; in parrots you would need to consult a certified avian veterinarian.

We have a resource for finding an avian vet local to you here:

Pipp is correct that overdosing or unnecessarily medicating your parrot with antibiotics can have serious consequences. In addition to possibly inspiring future issues with the antibiotic in question, it can disrupt gut bacteria and introduce new and life threatening medical issues, like aspergillosis.

I hope that your parrot feels better soon if they are indeed ill!

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Nobody here is an avian vet, and as such are not qualified to give the advice you seek with a query such as this, even less so without knowing the specifics of the species of parrot being treated and what condition it's being treated for - we would first and foremost refer you to an avian vet in the interests of the health and wellbeing of your bird. As the previous respondents have pointed out, medicating without initial proper and accurate diagnosis and follow up by an avian health professional can have very serious health consequences for your bird.

Most Reactions