Draco the shy, screeching GCC

KimiJinn

Mar 5, 2016
Parrots
A Green Cheek Conure named Draco.
I've had my GCC for a month now and he's been really shy/not really wanting me to hold him. I've already posted about that and have been trying to slowly get him to warm up to me, but now he's started screeching REALLY loud. I've been ignoring it because I don't want him to think it's a good way to get attention, but the longer I ignore him, the louder he gets. I really don't know what to do.

He'll go to the part of the cage closest to me, bend down, screech and then look up at me and then repeat but louder. He still doesn't like me holding him either, more so than before, but he'll only be there for a few minutes before trying to fly away.

Any suggestions? Also, he has a habit of screeching in the middle of the night after I've covered his cage. It wakes me up every time.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Reward quiet behavior. You have to ignore the loud no matter how long it goes. Eventually they will learn it doesn't get them what they want. However, they will learn a lot faster what TO DO vs what NOT to do, so reward the good!

He may not be ready to sit on your hand or be held. Both require a lot of trust from a small bird. You can spend time with him doing other things, playing with toys, singing and dancing together, eating together, trick training - all these build trust.

The noise at night, ignore best you can. Is the room he is in quiet at night? You may also want to experiment with not covering his cage, giving him a toy to sleep beside (grass, raffia or paper tassel is great for this) so he doesn't feel alone, or putting a dim nightlight nearby. Things like moving light from passing cars could also be scary for them, so make sure your blinds are pulled.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
It could be possibly due to night frights so I'd investigate what could be the cause. The night light could help with this.

Re reading your post it certainly points to night frights - you now have to try and work out what is causing your little bird to have them?

Is it same time each night, obviously pretty late if he's waking you?

Position a night light so that there is just enough light under his cover to give a gentle light so that he can see enough when rudely awoken.

He's letting you know he's upset that something has upset him so make use of this to build on your relationship and go and sooth and resettle him before going back to bed.

He will learn to trust you if you are soothing, kind and patient with him.

Last edited:
OP
K

KimiJinn

Mar 5, 2016
Parrots
A Green Cheek Conure named Draco.
His cage is in my room because we have 2 kitties that have full-range of the house at night and I worry about him being harassed if i'm not there. My room is very quiet at night, only a fan going. I keep him covered because my apartment gets cold (I also bought a little heater pad he can cuddle next to at night, he loves it). I think he enjoys being covered at night because he'll hop up in the corner once I start to cover him. I'll definitely try a night light, but I honestly have no outlets near his cage to help him. I didn't think of night terrors though, so I definitely will try to comfort him next time. This might sound silly, but are there night lights for bird cages?

What treats do you recommend? Or certain toys? I've been looking, but it seems that when I find one I can get him, someone says it's not safe for him.

I don't know if his screeching habit is a (literal) cry for attention or aggressive behavior? He bends down, looks right at me, screeches, sits up and looks at me again, waiting. He spends more time looking at me too.

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first non-parakeet bird so I'm still learning.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
They make battery run night lights that stick to the wall with double sided tape. You could maybe put one of these under his cage, below the grate or somewhere he can't get to it. That would give him some light while still allowing him to be covered.

Treats - favorite foods. Many folks use sunflower or safflower seeds - things they don't want too much of in the regular diet, but that the bird loves. I use organic granola sometimes for treats. Favorite fruit, anything like that.

It's smart to keep him away from the cats when you cannot supervise. He needs to feel safe to sleep.

My guess is he is screeching as an attention getting behavior rather than aggression. However, any ongoing noise making at night is not normal behavior. He is telling you something is wrong or scary.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Safe toys, I am probably far to one end of the spectrum. I don't use a lot of things people generally consider safe (cotton and PVC being two).

Things my green cheek gets for toys are generally okay if he were to ingest them: sisal, grasses, raffia, dried yucca slices, wood blocks (pine usually), bird safe tree branches with bark, vegetable tanned leather. He also gets some edible plants as food/toys - right now he has wheatgrass and thyme that live outside his cage but the leaves are tucked inside through the bars.

I use stainless steel D rings (I think that's what they're called) to hang toys or tie them with leather.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
His cage is in my room because we have 2 kitties that have full-range of the house at night and I worry about him being harassed if i'm not there. My room is very quiet at night, only a fan going. I keep him covered because my apartment gets cold (I also bought a little heater pad he can cuddle next to at night, he loves it). I think he enjoys being covered at night because he'll hop up in the corner once I start to cover him. I'll definitely try a night light, but I honestly have no outlets near his cage to help him. I didn't think of night terrors though, so I definitely will try to comfort him next time. This might sound silly, but are there night lights for bird cages?

What treats do you recommend? Or certain toys? I've been looking, but it seems that when I find one I can get him, someone says it's not safe for him.

I don't know if his screeching habit is a (literal) cry for attention or aggressive behavior? He bends down, looks right at me, screeches, sits up and looks at me again, waiting. He spends more time looking at me too.

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first non-parakeet bird so I'm still learning.

Hi as Piasa says if you put a battery light near his cage so he gets a little light, enough that he can see if he wakes in a fright I'm sure that will help and there is the possibility that they will lessen as time goes by. We have used plug in baby night lights before. This could give you the opportunity to bond build if handled correctly and he can trust you. Sooth him and then put him back to sleep.

I think he is wanting more interaction with you so just try talking to him and see what reaction you get from him? Sometimes a few words is all they need. Have you started to build a routine so he knows when to expect interaction/play with you. You can try daft things like peek a boo to start with, gently though, no scaring and see how he reacts.

Re toys - that is difficult - try to work out what type of toy appeals to him is it preening, chewing/destroying, climbing (exercise care here to avoid accidents), comfort toys. Or go for one of everything ha ha:)
Good luck he sounds a sweetie.

Most Reactions

Latest posts