Dream or nightmare

ALRAINBOW

Mar 27, 2020
I have owned pets most of my life , enjoying there company regardless of the trials we pet owners go through . In owning a pair of the same breed and age there are obvious differences . Both make noises the same , scream same time . But screaming can be controlled but not stopped and this is ok . I own a loft apt so yes I can hear them anytime even in the bathroom . When things get bad it’s my retreat LOL. but as most of my previous pets had dreams even cats . Birds I don’t recall making noises as they sleep . she does this many times each night . He does not this is where I’m confused . Her noises are all typical ones but at reduced volumes . even screams , trowels , laughing . So my question is am I alone in this ? Anyone have any stories

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I don't recall my Ekkies making much noise at night. Many species have what we call "night frights," not sure if dreams/nightmares or some other response. They certainly have complex brains so it is possible for activity similar to what we call dreams to occur. Night frights can cause wild flapping in the cage resulting in injury and sadly, death. Might be wrong, but anecdotally the worst reactions are typically with smaller species.

I always sleep with a Goffins in "night cage" near my bed. A light sleeper, every noise wakes me but seldom hear much beyond occasional mumble, groan, or splat of dropping hitting cage bottom!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I have owned pets most of my life , enjoying there company regardless of the trials we pet owners go through . In owning a pair of the same breed and age there are obvious differences . Both make noises the same , scream same time . But screaming can be controlled but not stopped and this is ok . I own a loft apt so yes I can hear them anytime even in the bathroom . When things get bad it’s my retreat LOL. but as most of my previous pets had dreams even cats . Birds I don’t recall making noises as they sleep . she does this many times each night . He does not this is where I’m confused . Her noises are all typical ones but at reduced volumes . even screams , trowels , laughing . So my question is am I alone in this ? Anyone have any stories

My guess is that she isn't sleeping well and that you may need to look into providing a quieter space.

edit- especially because if you are hearing her, it means you are still up and likely making noise (and if you hear her, she hears you). Additionally, you said you live in a loft, and lofts are noisy as heck (in my experience).

Last edited:

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
Dream or Nightmare

Most of my previous pets had dreams even cats. Birds I don’t recall making noises as they sleep.

Dr. Matthew Walker performed a lengthy study on into the various aspects of sleep, specific components, sections and functions. Research was performed on a variety of species. In chapter three of his book, “Why We Sleep,” his reflections on birds includes:

"Studies discovered that there are merely two species of animals that engage in rapid-eye-movement (REM) sleep: mammals and birds. During REM sleep, the snoozing animal experiences a dream, and its body becomes unable to move in order to prevent acting out during dreams. But other species —such as reptiles, fish, insects and alike–do not enter REM sleep at all. What this means, is that while your dogs dream regularly, your pet ball python will never experience such dreams in its life."

Appears, as Noodles123 reflected, your female experiences irregular interrupted sleep patterns.

My umbrella goes quiet with covering of her cage. In the mornings, I talk to her before pulling the cage cover as the unannounced activity has startled her.

Meisha's hormonal phases have resulted in poor sleep cycles with noisy restless nights. She calls out specifically wanting out. I take her out to examine her to make sure there isn't some other health concern. If she checks out, she is returned. She has been quite noisy when she is with egg. The alternate behaviors destabilizes sleep within the household.

• She does this many times each night.
  • He does not.
  • Her noises are all typical ones, but at reduced volumes.

How often does this occur?
I'd imagine the male's sleep cycle is compromised by her chatter.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
my birds quietly practicing words snd vocalization when the first go to roost.

Birds are usually very quiet , silent after dark to avoid predators...

Mine will murmur to me if I disturb them.. a quick everything is ok its still night night has them back to sleep and quiet.

Some birds have night terror. My re homed to me quaker Pikachu, I was informed had this bad. He had one first night. Then I arranged his cage so he could retreat to screened off section when sleeping....he has never had one since...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Most homes see little more than four hours of true silence and darkness. In following my Amazons over the years, they tend to reflect what is happening around them.

As noted above, by adding a safe place within their cage helps an insecure bird to be more restful. Loft apartments are not only noise, but they are drafty as well. Consider a covering for the cage.

Last edited:

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
I have never had Basil do anything like this in the 23 years he’s been alive. He’s usually super quiet but will go through a talk spurt before resting.

Paprika is always jibber jabbering but is very quiet too when sleeping. If she wakes up from something she will “talk” and then go back to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
Growing up I did have a female cockatiel who would suffer from night frights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).

As Laurasea noted, most birds will go quiet once they believe it's actually nighttime, in order to avoid predators. However some birds are naturally night owls and some are naturally early birds. (I have one of each, and one who is neutral.) Do you cover yours for sleep? If so, is it drafty / lighted / noisy? (My conure, my earlybird, wants NO drop of light coming into her cage. And, she wants to sleep an hour or so BEFORE sunset. But, she will also awaken pleasantly hours before sunrise. Whereas my Jefferson-budgie does Not want covered until the last ray of sun has dropped, does NOT want the budgie cage more than half-covered, and will awaken and start singing in the middle of the night IF there is too much light, voices, music or loud tv. He will get night frights if startled; he scalped himself on the ceiling from a night fright.)

Also, how many hours are your birds covered? IF covered for too long, or IF outside of his preferred sleeping-hours, perhaps the noisy one simply doesn't "feel it" in regard to being ready for sleep-time?

Last edited:
OP
A

ALRAINBOW

Mar 27, 2020
thanks all for the replies ,
age born 10-15-2019 she is 2 weeks older he was born 11-1-2019
apt noise yes but only in my bedroom some 45 feet away as i leave the bedroom window open to make it cooler for me as the birds i keep 72 to to 78 .
its only her and yes sometimes she or he may flap and fall off perch . the muddering is not early evening the sounds are all into the night . its all typical sounds she makes even screams but all low volume . i sleep very light and often wake up its when i hear her . my place is not total darkness small led lights are see all over from various equipment . the sounds are every night multiple times a night . a lot of multiple times as she is 14 months old now maybe it is harmonal . they are very active all day . they take little napes but for the most part eat , destroy toys and look for me to give attention . she is far more aggressive then him in wanting me . low sugar does calm them but they still are active all day . they are almost always next to each other in the cage or out . sleeping is cheek to cheek. there cage is big and they have a play pen on top and a tree stand as well plenty for them to do . i have a small dinet table next to there cage where i eat . they run to me . i read somewhere birds dont like us on do for food and fear of us hurting them . while i always felt i had a bod to previous hand raised birds these guys do seem to live as i read up lol.

OP
A

ALRAINBOW

Mar 27, 2020

As Laurasea noted, most birds will go quiet once they believe it's actually nighttime, in order to avoid predators. However some birds are naturally night owls and some are naturally early birds. (I have one of each, and one who is neutral.) Do you cover yours for sleep? If so, is it drafty / lighted / noisy? (My conure, my earlybird, wants NO drop of light coming into her cage. And, she wants to sleep an hour or so BEFORE sunset. But, she will also awaken pleasantly hours before sunrise. Whereas my Jefferson-budgie does Not want covered until the last ray of sun has dropped, does NOT want the budgie cage more than half-covered, and will awaken and start singing in the middle of the night IF there is too much light, voices, music or loud tv. He will get night frights if startled; he scalped himself on the ceiling from a night fright.)

Also, how many hours are your birds covered? IF covered for too long, or IF outside of his preferred sleeping-hours, perhaps the noisy one simply doesn't "feel it" in regard to being ready for sleep-time?

i dont cover them , its dark but there is tiny led lights around . i dont think its night frights as its calming sounds they make some low volume screams though

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
In that case, you might try covering the top half of the cage at nighttime. Many birds feel safer for sleeping if their cage is covered. By covering only the top half, like I do for my budgies, they can still see around if they want, but can also feel very safe to close their eyes for sleeping also. It is possible that she is not sleeping well, and half-waking up to mumble in her sleep.

And If that is the case, then possibly if the cage-top & partial-sides were covered at night, she might sleep better.

(You could try covering for a few weeks. IF they do not seem to like a covering, then you could go back to Not covering. You don't need a fancy cover, just a blanket or even a shirt, sheet or curtain, draped & folded over the top half, would do fine.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts