Dried sprouts/veg? Mixing different pellet brands?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi PF family, I've planning on making a dried mix for my bird that included dried flowers, dried herbs, nuts(only a bit), grains, and some dried veggies and sprouts.

I want to get a drier so I can dry some veg and sprouts, but here's my question:
Is it okay to have dried veg/sprouts just as an extra?(NOT a substitute for fresh food)

I want to make a dried mix because it's more entertaining than pellets(I'll still feed a bit of pellets though), which brings me to the next question:

Do you guys think that mixing different pellet brand is a good idea?(if they eat all of them, that is)

I only want to mix different brands to make it a bit more entertaining, and that they don't get bored of the same pellet every day. My birds have eaten Roudybush, Nature's Nest(only available in SA), and Avi-plus(Also exclusive to SA, though it's terrible IMO, it contains mostly soy, veggie oils, by-products(EEK!) etc etc)

TIA, your input is appreciated :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
A couple of precautions regarding dried veggies, fruits and sprouts as the process tends to enhance the food value of those items. We use them to help transition a Parrot to Fresh Foods as they develop a test of them. BUT, one has be be careful regarding how much is provided.

A mix of Pellet is Okay as long as you stay away from those that use color additives and greater levels of sugar. As above, watch carefully the food value of each.

Have fun, Cheers!

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
A couple of precautions regarding dried veggies, fruits and sprouts as the process tends to enhance the food value of those items. We use them to help transition a Parrot to Fresh Foods as they develop a test of them. BUT, one has be be careful regarding how much is provided.

A mix of Pellet is Okay as long as you stay away from those that use color additives and greater levels of sugar. As above, watch carefully the food value of each.

Have fun, Cheers!
Thanks!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hi PF family, I've planning on making a dried mix for my bird that included dried flowers, dried herbs, nuts(only a bit), grains, and some dried veggies and sprouts.

I want to get a drier so I can dry some veg and sprouts, but here's my question:
Is it okay to have dried veg/sprouts just as an extra?(NOT a substitute for fresh food)

I want to make a dried mix because it's more entertaining than pellets(I'll still feed a bit of pellets though), which brings me to the next question:

Do you guys think that mixing different pellet brand is a good idea?(if they eat all of them, that is)

I only want to mix different brands to make it a bit more entertaining, and that they don't get bored of the same pellet every day. My birds have eaten Roudybush, Nature's Nest(only available in SA), and Avi-plus(Also exclusive to SA, though it's terrible IMO, it contains mostly soy, veggie oils, by-products(EEK!) etc etc)

TIA, your input is appreciated :)
My friend got a dehydrator and uses it for drying veggies as treats for their birds. They really love the kale chips she made.

I do mix 2 kinds of pellets for a couple of the birds because they like them both. I haven't had any issues:)

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
It was recommended to me to use a mix of pellets partly so that if there's ever an issue on the supplier end of one of them, you're not stuck with no pellets and having to hope your parrot will easily accept a different brand.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
My birds eat multiple brand with no issues, and are very willing to try new food. Thanks for all the suggestions! I still need to research a bit on how to dehydrate foods :)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
My flock love dehydrated veggies, but make sure you have plenty of fresh ones too.
Mixing pellets is a great idea, as long as they are all sugar-free, artificial flavoring and coloring free, and salt-free.

Most Reactions

Latest posts