Drogon in charge of training!

Mitchan

Jun 24, 2013
Sweden
Parrots
Meg the Indian Ringneck, Drogon the BF Amazon, Leia the Alexandrine, Donnie the YC Amazon
Drogon knows a bunch of tricks and really loves trick training, but he definitely has his favorite ones, and it shows! ;)

A fun thing I like to do is allow him to lead the training session himself now and then - he’ll tell me which trick he wants to do, and then I ask him to do it and give him a reward when he does. It’s especially fun right after a session of training a new trick/behavior, if he’s been getting bored or a bit frustrated about not getting it right every time, - to just move on and let him decide for himself what to do, ensuring his satisfaction (and a treat) every time!

So here’s a video (sorry it’s in Swedish) of him asking me to ask him to do only his two absolute favorite tricks over and over - "vinka" (meaning wave in Swedish, so it’s waving), and "dracarys" (which is the verbal cue Daenerys from Game of Thrones uses for her dragons to breathe fire… I use it for a lil wing flap instead).

As you’ll see, the one time I ask him to do a trick that he didn’t request at first, he just ignores that and tells me he wants the other one. :D
(Also, as you can barely see the netting in the video, so I want to add that he is in an aviary!)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtl_nI40kfM"]vinka? - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The Dracaris trick is sooo cute! I cant get Salty to do any wing tricks, which is odd, but there you are.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It has been several years since I have been in Sweden. I have been from the far Southern tip all the way to a bit past the Arctic Circle. All on business trips and during all the seasons. Truly enjoy the experience.

Love the Amazon Lead Training session. Great idea! And, clearly your Amazon loves it as well!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
so cute!!! I really hope dracarys is a Game of Thrones reference (along w/ the name)..so accurate

OP
Mitchan

Mitchan

Jun 24, 2013
Sweden
Parrots
Meg the Indian Ringneck, Drogon the BF Amazon, Leia the Alexandrine, Donnie the YC Amazon
The Dracaris trick is sooo cute! I cant get Salty to do any wing tricks, which is odd, but there you are.
Drogon is the only one of my birds who does wing tricks - he just happens to be very animated with his wings, so getting him to understand was easy :D

It has been several years since I have been in Sweden. I have been from the far Southern tip all the way to a bit past the Arctic Circle. All on business trips and during all the seasons. Truly enjoy the experience.

Love the Amazon Lead Training session. Great idea! And, clearly your Amazon loves it as well!
Oh, that sounds fantastic! You've seen more of Sweden than I have then, and I've lived here my entire life! :D :p

so cute!!! I really hope dracarys is a Game of Thrones reference (along w/ the name)..so accurate
It definitely is! :D :D

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Wow that is so cool! I've never seen so much blue on the front of a blue front! What a handsome guy :D

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Wait, you haven't travelled around Sweden? There is just so many wonderful places to visit and the history of each district is wonderful and the foundation of so many traditional that have spread across the World.

Again, love the video of your Blue Front Amazon!

As Jim noted above, that blue bar around the front of the head is truly beautiful.

Most Reactions

Latest posts