Drop your favorite recipes for your birds here!

LittleRedHen

Jun 13, 2020
Greater Metro Detroit Area
Parrots
Homer (male GCC) - DOB 1.9.19
Frida (female cockatiel) - DOB 7.2.19 (RIP)
Gus (male quaker) - DOB 7.20.20
A friend and I want to have a treat bake-off for our birds to help us stay busy while staying home in light of the pandemic. We'd like to try a new recipe each week and share them amongst our own birds (and potentially donate some to a local parrot rescue while we're at it...if they want them).

We are looking for baking recipes for bird treats, preferably using healthy, easy to find ingredients that can be adapted to a wide range of bird sizes.

Help us! Send recipes for your birds' favorites! We have hungry beaks to fill! :D

:gcc: :whiteblue:

OP
L

LittleRedHen

Jun 13, 2020
Greater Metro Detroit Area
Parrots
Homer (male GCC) - DOB 1.9.19
Frida (female cockatiel) - DOB 7.2.19 (RIP)
Gus (male quaker) - DOB 7.20.20
Well....I'll kick it off, then!

I got this recipe from: https://thehappycockatoo.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/blueberry-sweet-potato-parrot-treats/amp/

sweet potato blueberry treats:

1 cup of a healthful flour mixture (quinoa, coconut, buckwheat, etc)
2 cups mashed sweet potato
1/2 cup of mashed blueberries

Bake 25 minutes at 350 in greased shallow glass baking pan (organic extra virgin coconut oil)

Cool, then cut into bite sized pieces, or use a cookie cutter. Flip them over and bake the bottoms for another 10 minutes.

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Bebee - Blue and Gold Macaw,
Little Bird - Goffins Cockatoo,
Mica and Daffy, greatly missed
I recently experimented with bird bread because it is something Little Bird will eat and I am trying to expand her diet and she's a bit too skinny hence adding the oil and whole eggs. From what I read online the whole eggs, oil, and baking powder aren't necessary but then it will have a different consistency.

3/4 cp. ground pellets (I used harrisons)
1 cp. your choice of flour (I used whole wheat)
1 tsp. baking powder
2 cups pureed fruits and veggies (I went heavy on veggies and light on fruit and pureed it because she won't eat chunks yet)
2 eggs
1/4 cp. oil (I used red palm)

It should have the consistency of a thick cake batter. (Add water or flour if needed, I think it will depend on how juicy the fruit and veggies are.) I put it in a 5x9 loaf pan lined with parchment paper. I baked it in a 350 degree oven and checked after 40 minutes. I think it took close to an hour to bake through. You could cook it at the same temp for a shorter time if you cook it in a regular baking pan versus a loaf pan.
I cooled it and cut into small squares with a bread knife. She gets 1 per day for dinner. It gave me enough for about 2 months I think. I froze them in 5 day serving packets. I keep them in the fridge after removing from the freezer.

Most Reactions

Latest posts