Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi everyone, I have long planned to get my birds off pellets and make a dry mix, as I now have the opportunity to do it because their pellets ran out😅. How much of it should be grains, how much of it flowers/herbs/spices, etc? Thanks in advance. (for more info it's 5 budgies and a cockatiel)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hi everyone, I have long planned to get my birds off pellets and make a dry mix, as I now have the opportunity to do it because their pellets ran out😅. How much of it should be grains, how much of it flowers/herbs/spices, etc? Thanks in advance. (for more info it's 5 budgies and a cockatiel)
What grains and stuff are you using? Percentages would be easier to give if we know what ingredients. I'd love to make my own dry mix too! Just gotta use up the Dr. harveys first!

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
What grains and stuff are you using? Percentages would be easier to give if we know what ingredients. I'd love to make my own dry mix too! Just gotta use up the Dr. harveys first!
I plan on using grains such as quinoa(red and white), barley, oats etc. and some mixed nuts(Nuts of course will be a smaller part(10% or less), some flowers, herbs/spices, and(if I can find any), dried/freeze dried vegetables.

I asked a bird-tuber I really like, and she said it's best to use are much variety as possible and not majority of one thing. So I think I'm gonna roughly mix them. 1/3 grains, 1/3 herbs, spices, veggies etc and 1/3 other stuff(nuts, seeds, etc).

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Also, I checked out Dr. harvey's mixes out and they're not that bad! Really good actually :)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I plan on using grains such as quinoa(red and white), barley, oats etc. and some mixed nuts(Nuts of course will be a smaller part(10% or less), some flowers, herbs/spices, and(if I can find any), dried/freeze dried vegetables.

I asked a bird-tuber I really like, and she said it's best to use are much variety as possible and not majority of one thing. So I think I'm gonna roughly mix them. 1/3 grains, 1/3 herbs, spices, veggies etc and 1/3 other stuff(nuts, seeds, etc).
Ok, that sounds great! I know Dr. Harveys is pretty good, it just has lots of dried fruit in it, I just pick the fruit out and use it as treats tho so I guess it kinda just works out. Good luck with making your mix! :giggle:

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Also, I checked out Dr. harvey's mixes out and they're not that bad! Really good actually :)
Oooh you can also try ordering some dried herbs and other things from Christine's chop shop. If you want to.
I've heard good things about them though I don't know about pricing yet.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I made it today :)
Ingredients include:
Sunflower
Chia
Chashew
Almonds
Pumpkin seed
Flower mix(marigold, rose hips, hibiscus red clover, blue cornflowers)
Rolled oats
Quinoa
Soft food(a combination of grains. Just something I bought accidentally. It contains corn and soy though, but a small amount is OK, right?)
Dried chillies
Herb mix(alfalfa, comfrey, rosemary, ginseng(?), cayenne, Sutherlandia(?))
Dried dates/fig(only a small amount)

So I roughly mixed it and this is what I got!
20220419_124935.jpg

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Sounds good!
If your giving it alot i would recommend taking sunflower out or lowering the amount
Soy and corn in small amounts should be fine
Looks good tho! :)

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Sounds good!
If your giving it alot i would recommend taking sunflower out or lowering the amount
Soy and corn in small amounts should be fine
Looks good tho! :)
It's only a small amount of sunflower, you can barely see it in the mix.
Sunflower is actually very healthy, it just shouldn't be the main part of their diet. For a bird to have a few sunflower seeds a day is perfectly fine :). The issue is when people feed is as a main part of the diet.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
It's only a small amount of sunflower, you can barely see it in the mix.
Sunflower is actually very healthy, it just shouldn't be the main part of their diet. For a bird to have a few sunflower seeds a day is perfectly fine :). The issue is when people feed is as a main part of the diet.
I realized how much there is 😳 I'll go ahead and remove some of it

Most Reactions