Drywalled chewed

Tziporiah

Oct 6, 2021
Media
Indianapolis
Parrots
I have a timna African gray and a Senegal
So, my little Senegal loves to chew on the bars of her cage. She was in cage chewing mode and I tried to discourage her by getting her a new toy. Today she was chewing and I noticed the cage was too close to the wall and she was chewing on my drywall. I have an area a little bigger than a quarter that she has chewed on.
Do I need to detox her if so what are your recommendations

Attachments

• IMG_20220309_085152759.jpg
    IMG_20220309_085152759.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 62
OP
T

Tziporiah

Oct 6, 2021
Media
Indianapolis
Parrots
I have a timna African gray and a Senegal
So, my little Senegal loves to chew on the bars of her cage. She was in cage chewing mode and I tried to discourage her by getting her a new toy. Today she was chewing and I noticed the cage was too close to the wall and she was chewing on my drywall. I have an area a little bigger than a quarter that she has chewed on.
Do I need to detox her if so what are your recommendations
By the way, this place was built in the mid '80s so I know there is no lead in the paint

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I think keep an eye on her, if she shows any symptoms of metal poisoning, avian vet ASAP.

how many shredding toys are in her cage?
How big is her cage? Sometimes bar-chewing indicates a cage that is too small.

as for chewing the wall, I think just keep her cage away from the wall :)
(edit: The post below has good advice!)

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Drywall chewing is not a good thing as drywall over the years has had several different chemicals /materials either as part of the base product or added to it. The 80's was a transitional period as that period of time resulted in several chemicals being forced to be removal. The concentrations were low, so a recall was not ordered and what was in the system was allowed to be used. That choice had been questioned several times since. But have never risen to a point of a recall.

Like lead paint, one of the issues is that drywall has a sweet taste to it (what I have read, never tasted it) and can become habit forming. So, keep your Parrot away from the walls as one does not want to be repairing walls!! Should not be a problem based on the limited amount your Parrot consumed. But, avoid drywall chewing in the future.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Drywall over the years has been globally sourced. I'd be most concerned with certain products containing traces of harmful materials. If you caught the chewing early and noticed debris on floor vs being ingested, all is probably well.

Most Reactions