Dusky Pionus vomited after medication.

airbags

Jan 16, 2023
Parrots
Echo (dusky pionus, m)
Lenny (eclectus, m)
Yosh (african grey, f)
Hello everyone, I'm new here, and I apologize for not introducing myself but I wanted to get this question in as soon as I could. Our DP threw up tonight after attempting to syringe-feed him some antibiotics as he recovers from an injury. The poor little boy (Echo, male) has been on medicine for a while and tonight he just emptied his contents all over the floor. I didn't even know birds could do that.

It was relatively clear with a few chunky bits but no sign of blood that I can tell.

Has anyone else had this happen? It's a completely new experience for me and him as well, I'm sure.

Thanks.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I haven’t had that happen after medication, but antibiotics can be pretty vile. I can totally SEE IT happening. I had a carsick bird and she certainly emptied herself out a few times. I know I myself have had antibiotics that made me void in very short order.

If your parrot can’t manage to take the antibiotics as is, there should be some ways to help. I would call the vet and let them know if the vomiting happens again. Perhaps you could mix the antibiotics with some mushy food and make it less concentrated. There may be a medication you can give him for nausea that will help with the vomiting, or maybe there’s an injectable version of that medication. ?? Perhaps your bird needs to be super calm since in birds being excited can lead to regurgitation.

Either way if this happens again and maybe before then your vet ought to know about it. There should be some way to address this vomiting and to keep your bird safe and well.

I am sorry to hear this. Pionus are sweet birds in all sorts of ways.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

First , let your vet know what happened. There are a family of antibiotics that are safe for Avian use, he may change it to a different one.

Second, when my Amazon Salty had several bouts of nasal infections we used baby parrot formula and mixed the meds in with that. Even if your parrot is weaned and older, I always recommend feeding them baby parrot formula once in awhile specifically for this purpose. It does no harm and getting meds into them is much easier. Maybe 3-4 times a year I give Salty his baby food, and he LOVES it!

I hope your DP is receptive and gets better!

Most Reactions