wortletheturtle

Jul 17, 2015
NY
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Hello everyone, great site by the way! Never thought of registering until now, but there is a lot of good information on this website.

Anyway, I was given a Double Yellow Headed Amazon parrot, named Baxter, from my Aunt who was moving to Florida. No idea why you wouldn't want to bring your bird with you, but that's just me.

I was told he was between the ages of 8 and 10.

He was so afraid of everything at first. But after about two months, we had bonded, and it was great. I received him in January.

I waited until he was comfortable before I changed his diet from the seed, that he had been eating since day one, to Pellets. I'm trying out Harrison's food too, but that's not quite as popular with him... Guess I should be happy he eats the pellets :)

So with all that, the last two months have been a bit of a battle with him. He's bitten me pretty good a couple times.

Speech for him is minimal, he'll say his name and hello, but thats about it. I don't think he was talked to much as a little one, and I know nothing about his history. My Aunt was very vague... maybe for a reason?

He cannot stand the vacuum, or blow dryer. Has a horrible fear of towels and spray bottles, and if I take a shower and come back to visit, he's in FULL display and ready to bite. Maybe I smell different?

Bathing is a day by day reaction. Sometimes he's fine, sometimes he sees water and thinks "OH NO WAY, NOT TODAY" and begins tearing at my arm.

I hope he didn't have negative experiences at one point to cause this. Ive resorted to just overfilling his water dish and letting him bathe away.

His wings are clipped, after an attempted face attack. It calmed him a little but he still bites. He has also received a clean bill of health from the vet, who told me springtime hormones were normal.

I'm just looking for some tactics to help battle his biting fits, or anything to bring me comfort that it is not me that is contributing to his behavior.

If it is me, we will go from there. I dont want to be the cause of his misery or make him any more unhappy. All i'd like is to make the little guy more content. He's my buddy, I just want him comfortable

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I am very open-minded about this situation.

The picture below is Baxter. He's quite the clown
DSC_0039.jpg

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the the big bold world of DYH Amazons!

I would recommend that you take the time to read though the first 10 plus postings in this forum. You are encountering much the same as many first time Amazon owners. You will find comments that recommend that you leave them wanting more, establishing yourself as the dominate member of the flock and that you are fundamentally dealing with a 2 year old child with wings. All and more are very true and well worth your time in reading.

DYH Amazons near the top of overall physical size of Amazons and although all Amazons can get in your face, these guys will test boundaries. They are also a member of the 'HOT' three Amazons, which will require that you are on your game regarding reading the mental and physical status of your DYH Amazon (read the first posting, there is a reason it has been around a long time).

A DYH Amazon in part or full 'Amazon Mode' requires the same effort as dealing with a 2 year old child that has a couple of teeth. Miss read either and you will get bit.

The reality is, any and all Amazons will get excited or have had enough of us. It is our responsibility to see that and adjust. To that end, as seen in other postings, stick training is very important.

With all of that said, your DYH Amazon will be the source of a deep emotional bond and great joy. You just need to fully understand and accept that you are the adult, the leader of the flock!

I am owned by a DYH Amazon, and yes they have their moments, but the bond reward leaves me wanting more!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub

Most Reactions

Latest posts